Silly question - Fuel gauge sender on 300 tdi

This is probably a silly question, but the fuel gauge (on the dashboard) is constantly reading empty and the orange warning light is on.

I thought I'd have a look at the fuel gauge sender unit and check the wiring, in case there's a simple wiring fault or break somewhere, but the initial problem I ran into is that after lifting up the carpet in the back to find the access plate, the screws have rusted and the screwheads are worn.

Does anyone know the best way of undoing the screws without damaging anything?

Reply to
Paul Vigay

If they have rusted, the wiring and the plug probably has too.

They are not expensive, and when you get a new one, you get the sender, a rubber washer and a new lock ring - at least you do on a 90.

Carpet in the back tends to lean towards a disco :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Cheers for that. I guess the initial problem is how to get the blanking plate off. The screws won't undo! :-(

Ooops. Yes should have said so. Yup. Disco! :-)

Reply to
Paul Vigay

Wait fort new one and bash it wit hamma

- I'm practicing my northern, thanks nige for the lessons.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Na ..... 'it it like a blork.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I used an angle grinder to get the heads (Only two of them rusted though) of mine off, then decent pliers to remove the screw bodies and new self-tapping replacements when I did it.

But mine wasn't a problem with the wiring, it was the wire on the sender had come un-soldered ... after I'd bought a new one ready for fitting. After re-soldering the old one, I now have a fully working spare, if anyone needs one cheaply ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx (mobile)

'appen beginners shud tek a ganda' oer theeyr

I suspect this done by some tosser south of Watford cos I de' (even tho' I'm a Cheshire type 5 years of trunking over to Sheffield ) and they sez I dint. Nige 'sik em ladDerek over 40's play area

Derek

Whilst the sun is 't crackin' flags lad.

Reply to
Nige

Paul, give us a piccy of the knackered screws and we'll probably be able to suggest a solution ;)

When I had this problem on my series 2a it was simply a bad earth connection.

Regards,

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I long ago gave up on such fripperies, guesswork and spare jerry can is my solution :)

Reply to
Larry

In article , Stephen Hull wrote: [Snip]

Eventually managed to get a decent enough screwdriver to undo them with a bit of brute force. Used a flat headed philips instead of a pointy one that I had in the toolbox.

It did indeed turn out to be a duff wire, so a bit of soldering later and it was all working fine!

I can now drive again without having to watch the miles tick up! :-)

BY THE WAY, does anyone know if there are any landy/4x4 clubs in the Butser Hill area of (SE) Hampshire?

Reply to
Paul Vigay