Series IIA & III fuel tank gauge (sender)

Hi folks,

Does anybody know the sender unit's min/max (= full/empty) resistance?

Thanks! Gio

Reply to
GRe

EMB

And the top result is....

"How do you check the resistance of a fuel sender, empty and full?"

Nothing else on the first page of results links to anything relating to Series II fuel gauges, except the one that mentions a problem using a series fuel gauge sender with a defender dash.

Unfortunately, like the original poster, I can't find anything using any sensible combination of search terms on Google.

Reply to
John Williamson

Halfway down the page that the first result (at least on Antipodean google) opens is the resistance range of the sender unit.

Reply to
EMB

Or you could have just linked to that thread directly, mentioning that the result being looked for is off-screen when you open the page. I reckon a "Let Me Google That For You" reponse smacks of condescension and is often totally unhelpful. Which is why I'll always link directly to a solution, if I find or know of one. There's also no guarantee that a Google search via lmgtfy.com will come up with the same answer in different countries.

The answer seems to be 240 ohms when full, and 30 when empty according to that source, and it would have been almost as easy for you have just typed that, with a URL for the whole thread.

Now, if I could figure out how to get the bingo light on mine working again... It's never worked since I had a new tank fitted a while ago, hopefully it's just a loose wire somewhere.

Reply to
John Williamson

Which is a pity cos I happen to have a fuel gauge sender for a 1984 Defender sitting in my garage - don't ask!!

Reply to
hugh

Did you put in a new sender - not all version provide the light feed.

Reply to
hugh

As far as I know, it's the original sender, but that's a good point. I'll have to dismantle the seat base...

I didn't do the work, and there was nothing on the invoice for a new sender.

Reply to
John Williamson

The resistance range is pretty close on both - it's probably worth experimenting.

Reply to
EMB

Well it's free to a good home if anyone wants it.

Reply to
hugh