Fuel gauge

Can someone explain how the fuel gauge in my little Ford Laser works. It stopped working the other day, the fuse is OK but I want to measure some voltages etc near the sender unit and in the wiring loom but need a little advise what voltages should read etc. Are there any easy tests I can do to help locate the problem. Thanks for any help. Cheers

Reply to
CeeTee

locate the tank sender unit, earthing the lead to it should make the gauge read full (ign on), if it doesn't there is a wiring or gauge fault, if it does then there is either a bad connection at the sender or a broken sender unit. the sender unit generally has an earth wire and a sender wire, some also have a low fuel light and some have a fuel pump built in too, so you need to know what you are doing or have a good wiring diagram.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Reply to