Slightly On Topic?

Happy New Year!

Finally back from our hols in South Africa. We had a problem with our V8 Disco, which resulted in us becoming stranded in the middle of no-where, with no coolant and in searing (to us) temperatures! We where rescued by a couple in a Toyota thankfully!

Luckily the kids didn't understand the seriousness of being stranded in Africa!!!

Is there a sensor I can get for *my* V8 that will alert me to the fact that there is no coolant, and therefore to tell me to ignore the temp guage!!!

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Our Rangie has a plastic expansion bottle with a cap on it which has a coolant level sensor as part of the assmebly. I'm sure this is standard issue. If it helps our Rangie is a 1990 Turbo D VM model just incase you raid the parts bin.

Percys 1976 Jaguar radiator also has a coolant level sensor inbuilt into the tanks at the side of the rad so if you were feeling like an extreme modification you could get one of these soldered in. I'd rather know at the expansion tank stage though ....especially if doing remote journeys.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Glad to hear you're ok ;-)

Reply to
David Sillitoe

Same here. And apart from the breakdown, did you enjoy yourselves?

Reply to
Nikki

Was this a 'borrowed' Disco or a hire car?

If the latter, I'd have been tempted to introduce a little 'severe and brutal violence' to the experience range of the hire company...

Ray Mears recently expressed his concerns that following his TV series many people plan going on an adventure jaunt and run the risk of getting a hire car / 4x4 with no real instruction or information and worst, getting a dog of a vehicle which hasn't been in the least bit maintained or prepared properly for the trip.

If someone like you - with a fair amount of experience, gets stranded, I spare a thought for Joe Clueless :-(

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Had a great time ... some pics on :

Enjoy ;-)

I'll keep the video footage of us being towed into Hoedspruit by a Toyota to myself :)

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Hi,

Contact Brian Cotton, he sells a sensor which fits into the Disco overflow tank, the system also monitors oil pressure, water temp and charging.

Greg Pta SA

Reply to
Greg_False

Our 1990 Range Rover V8 had a level sensor built into the cap. Also our vauxhall carlton (3.0 24 valve) had one that looked exactly the same. I think they maybe made by Bosch. try a scrap dealer and see if it fits. Richard

Reply to
Richard