Transmission Dip Stick for Late Model GM Cars

Does anyone know of a company make an after market Transmission Dip Stick for Late Model GM Cars that are built without one?

I would find this a useful addition to allow me to check fluid level and add fluid if necessary.

TIA,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Winkler

Don't know of any that are built without one unless it's a manual trans. Want to, oh I don't know, MAYBE MENTION WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE YOU WANT INFO ABOUT?

HeHe, really, that would be helpful as all get-out.....

Reply to
FBR

FBR

Our 2001 Impala has one.

Reply to
Eugene

Our 2001 Impala and 2000 S10 both have them.

Reply to
Eugene
1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 Auto and 2002 Sunfire 2.2L ECOTECH Auto.

I was under the impressi> FBR wrote:

Reply to
Larry Winkler

those are just custom accesories. I don't know of any automatic transmission equipped vehicle that doesn't come with a dipstick.

Reply to
cavalier_man_93

GM's have not had dipsticks for about 5 years now. I don't know of any retrofits though.

Reply to
« Paul »

Well, wait until you get a newer Cavalier. Then you will all of a sudden become quite aware of an automatic transmission that doesn't come with a dipstick.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No, this can't be done. There is a fill plug at the top of your transmission (big red cap). And once you figure out where the level checking plug is....this system actually works quite well, and you are guaranteed "not" to overfill the trans.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I wasn't aware of that. I guess i'm just old school.

Reply to
cavalier_man_93

Same here. I was amazed and appalled when I found out that GM was building cars without such an obviously necessary part no longer there.

I guess a person could pull the pan, weld in an adapter, and then use one of those Lokar O-ring dipsticks. Or depending on the fill-hole maybe install one there.

How long until the hood can't be opened without a special tool that only GM dealers have?

Reply to
FBR

Don't give them any ideas. LOL. I guess this is technology for you.

Reply to
cavalier_man_93

2000 Gr AM does NOT have one but has a vent up top and a plug at the transmission pan where the manual says you check the fluid. No dipstick for the transmission.
Reply to
Drumstick

Hey, what hood?

The writing's on the wall. Look at other things around you - your tv set, your toaster, your computer, your digital camera...

Like them, you'll use your car until it breaks, then throw it away (paying for the privilege of filling the landfill) and buy another. Probably made in China. From WalMart.

I wish I was kidding.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Know what kills me? When building a hotrod, or retrofitting older cars with a GM small block, it is so easy. Carb, takes one fuel line. HEI, one hot wire from the ignition. Alternator, one wire again. Hell, even if you go fuel injected the control computer harness is just for the FI and required sensors. They don't tie the radio, brakes, tranny, and door locks/window into it.

Don't get me started on the whole idea of a "floating ground".

Look at a wiring harness for a late model GM. Looks like Murphy, the god of things that can go wrong, pissed all over under the hood and under the dash and wherever the urine splattered, wiring was installed.

Course look back at Chryslers first trys. Can you say, "Lean Burn Engine"? Two worse things for electronic components, heat and vibration. Where did they mount the control computer? On the air cleaner. Oh boys, WTF were you thinking?

I know, I know. Todays cars are allegedly ever so much better. I call BS. You can build a PC from parts from different manufacturers because companies agreed on a standard to build to so thier shit would all work together. Then software is written to run on a set platform. Car companies could do the same and then just have a seperate chip or software for each make/model. It would standardize testing and parts. Will they ever do it? Why? Then they couldn't gouge the heck outta of the consumer.

I could go on but I need a drink and a breath of air. After that I'll probably find something else to rant about.......

Reply to
FBR

Why do you think it's a "necessary" part? If the trans doesn't leak fluid, the level won't go down. If you develop a leak, you fix it and top up the fluid. Checking these transmissions is not hard, you unscrew a small plug that is fairly easy to access, run the vehicle in park, and pour in the fluid until it comes out the level hole. Again, guaranteed not to overfill the trans, which may be what GM had in mind when doing this.

Probably easier to just learn where the level plug is.

Oh, it's coming. I believe they are working on 30K mile oil change intervals...or something to that effect. Basically, they don't really want anyone opening the hood for a long time. This will bite them and the consumer in the ass, but you can't reason with them. Oh well, we technicians will have to be there to pick up the pieces and "charge" a whole lot for it....(grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well ... I have a POS BMW that my stepson defaulted on & blessed me with. No tranny dipstick. Had to change out the radiator, and of course lost a little tranny fluid in the process. How to top it off? Well - according to the krauts, you have to have the car on a lift, perfectly level, at exactly a certain temperature, and it is soooo critical. (Oh, and of course, the plug on the bottom is frozen.)

Leave the darned dipstick in. If they don't have sense enough to fill it to the proper level, then I say that's job security for service techs. Always have liked GM, but I hate this big-brother attitude.

Reply to
Larry A.

Ian,

Thanks for the info. Found red cap on both cars. Not easiest location to get at (under exhaust manifold and heat shield on Grand Am) but doable.

Thanks,

Larry

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
Larry Winkler

"shiden_kai" wrote: > > No, this can?t be done. There is a fill plug at the top of your > transmission (big red cap). And once you figure out where the > level checking plug is....this system actually works quite well, and > you are guaranteed "not" to overfill the trans. > > Ian

Yes, but to have to put the car on a lift while the motor is running makes it tough to perform a routine check during an underhood inspection or even a driveway oil change. If they made the plug where it could be reached from the top would have made more since. But then we wouldn?t take our cars to the dealership to have the fluid checked then...

Reply to
LeBuick