Smokey 2.25

I have just bought a 1970 Series IIa, pretty clean and a nice full tilt. The kids just LOVE it. There are of course a few problems with it.

The poor old 2.25 lump is smoky, it seems to mostly smoke at startup, and when revved after being lefted to idle for a little. Whats more likely valve stem oil seals of worn bores?

Anyone got a 2.25 kicking about left over from a V8 conversion? (I'm trying to resist going V8 this was supposed to be a cheap fun car....)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Cullum

|| I have just bought a 1970 Series IIa, pretty clean and a nice full || tilt. The kids just || LOVE it. There are of course a few problems with it. || || The poor old 2.25 lump is smoky, it seems to mostly smoke at startup, || and when revved || after being lefted to idle for a little. Whats more likely valve stem || oil seals of worn bores? || || Anyone got a 2.25 kicking about left over from a V8 conversion? (I'm || trying to resist going || V8 this was supposed to be a cheap fun car....) || || || Matt

Almost certainly valve oil seals - very common, with exactly the symptoms you describe. Easy fix. Assuming it's a petrol - no idea about the diesel.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Reply to
Matt Cullum

||| Matt Cullum wrote: ||| ||||| I have just bought a 1970 Series IIa, pretty clean and a nice full ||||| tilt. The kids just ||||| LOVE it. There are of course a few problems with it. ||||| ||||| The poor old 2.25 lump is smoky, it seems to mostly smoke at ||||| startup, and when revved ||||| after being lefted to idle for a little. Whats more likely valve ||||| stem oil seals of worn bores?

||| Almost certainly valve oil seals - very common, with exactly the ||| symptoms you describe. Easy fix. Assuming it's a petrol - no idea ||| about the diesel.

|| Thanks hope so. I assume thats a head off job?

Yeah, but you can do it with a bent screwdriver and a hair grip.

Almost...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

But why not replace the valve springs and give the valves a grind in too, checking for damage/wear at the same time on all head components...rockers, rocker shaft, bearings etc. Might as well give it a full check over whilst you are there.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Valve grind is probably a good idea, but unless the engine has been abused it is unlikely to need new valve springs. You will of course need a head gasket and almost certainly a rocker cover gasket. Tools needed include a tension wrench and a workshop manual, and a valve lifter helps, but it is not a difficult job. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around 25 Jun 2006 12:01:30 -0700, "Matt Cullum" enlightened us thusly:

diseasel or petrol? The diesels all smoke when cold...

Reply to
Austin Shackles