Soooo far off topic i need a map!

I know there are lots of technical PC type people on here, so i thought i would ask the question.

Over the last couple of days i have started to get about 5 or 6 e mails a day, from what appears to be Microsoft, on about the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch", then the same amount of e mails saying

"Hi. This is the qmail program

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to one or more destinations.

Undeliverable message to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Message follows:"

Can anyone shed any light on this?

All help gratefully recieved...............It only works for my if it makes my hands mucky!

cheers

gary

Reply to
Gary Harrison

Yep, have shut down the address i use on here, got 150 emails on Sat morning when I logged on @ pm and a further 200 by the end of the day.

It was taking the f**king piss

Reply to
Igundwane

The Swen virus, which is nothing to do with football management.

Get thee hence to

or one of the other usual suspects and run it.

Microsoft don't send e-mails like this - it's a neatly executed virus. It has probably emailed everyone in your address book, and is now telling you about a couple of people it couldn't reach.

You should also change your email provider to one who provides virus scanning as part of the service. I know people who have received over

1000 copies of this in the last couple of days.

Me? I've received none, but my virus killer and spam filter have been working overtime! And I use Outlook Express....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

i rec'd the 'cumulative patch' and it looked like a virus to me. DELETE at all costs.

the wording is too good to be true: 'resolves ALL known security vulnerabilities'. very unlikely indeed!

chk my virus software's message:

'The file Q717967.exe attached to this message was found to contain the malicious virus Worm.Automat.AHB and has been removed by BT Openworld Email Protection Service powered by Symantec.'

teddave

Reply to
teddave

I too have been plagued by the Sven virus, but as I automatically delete every email I receive without opening it, it hasn't got through!!! Can someone let me know when the Ulrika virus is heading towards Cannock, as I missed her in my local pub when she was going out with Stan Collymore, who lives round the corner! Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

Easy!

It's called "virus" and "spam"

Simply delete them as soon as they come in, they'll stop coming within a few days, hopefully.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

or just install norton antivirus it kills them stone dead

"Gary

2003 Discovery Td5 GS5 c/w CDL - brilliance!> South West Wales Land Rover Club -

C + J F

On or around Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:58:12 +0100, Llandrovers! enlightened us thusly:

optimist...

this one is *very* widespread, I reckon it's gonna take a while to kill off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:34:49 +0000 (UTC), Gary Harrison enlightened us thusly:

yer bloody lucky, some have been getting over 200 a day.

it's yet another e-mail worm virus. bastard thing, this one, I've been getting about 80 a day on average.

I recommend "mailwasher" (or other similar software) which lets you filter and delete the sods from the remote mailbox rather than wasting time and bandwidth downloading the damned things.

note that "sven"/"swen" and "automat" are I think the same thing under different names. Most of them seem to be around 150KB, with a few at around

13-14KB.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Norton doesn't always kill them until you click on them tho'. MICROSOFT NEVER send attatchments they only inform you that updates are available at their site. I never open anything unless it's an attachment I specifically asked for.

NEVER click on 'remove' or try to email the sender either it just puts you back at the top of the list as an 'active' email address.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

In message , Gary Harrison writes

Have you got any anti-virus software on your PC? If not you could be one of the unwitting sources of a lot of this stuff that's going around.

Reply to
hugh

Thanks all for the info, my PC says it's removed the attachments as they are unsafe, so that looks good.

It's nice to know I'm not aloan.

cheers

Gary

Gary Harris> I know there are lots of technical PC type people on here, so i thought

Reply to
Gary Harrison

Reply to
Gordon

yeah gordon, im in aus aswell. it's really testing my patience at the moment.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

after both mine and brev's pc's were eaten alive I thought it was about time to get a newer anti-virus (the subsription had just run out on my old one) I went for the Norton Internet Sercurity (this contains anti-virus, spam trap and a firewall) and after making my pc sulk and bitch I got my system cleared again and it loves my e-mail which is soooo full of virus' why do ppl have to create the damb things in the first place I will never get we according to the rules need to go and spend out for another anti-virus for his system and we can only just afford the one we got.

Kay

You must be the only person I know of that sticks to the rules like that. Not that I would consider putting it on 2 machines of course! You could always 'sell' him your genuine copy now it's installed on your system, no wait you can't legally do that either, you'd need to remove yours then...? There's no way around it then..is there?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

There's been a lot of research into this. Generally the average virus creator will be aged between 13 and 19 and bored. A lot of them go on to discover girls/boys, cars, drugs, 'a life', or any combination of these, and suddenly writing a virus doesn't seem as much fun. In the same vein as portscanners and scriptkiddies, there are the first wave of 'internet anarchists'.

The real 'hackers' tend never to do anything destructive, and by their very nature, remain unseen.

I guess you could use your machine as the gateway host for all of the internet activity on Brevs machine? Having said that, I don't know of many people who purchase software for home use - full stop, so those of you that 'do', could reasonably be justified in perhaps accidentally loading it onto two home machines... :-)

One of the reasons I closed shop on our web design business back in

1996 was due to the cost various software. We could not compete on a level playing field with the 'home designers', all using pirated software. Odd really, as these days any web stuff I write will usually be done in notepad, DOS Edit, or Vi. Dunno why I mentioned that really, oh well... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hi Kay,

For home use forget Norton and use grisoft - it's free and regularly updated!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs