Spanish Defenders ?

Just got back from Calpe and have seen Spanish reg Defenders ? Thought they were all Santana's ?/

Incidentally for any Spanish posters; real nice place ( clean as a whistle no rubbish where we were and all friendly, puts is to shame at times !! )

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Nope, not yet! We still have proper Landrover dealers over here. Also, our 'local authority' equivilant, the Junta de Andalucia, has recently re-equipped with 90 and 110 Td5's. Ditto the electricity utility, Sevillana. Here in the rural south, Defenders are everywhere, and the only Santanas I've seen (by the hundreds) are the old leaf sprung series lookalikes. I've been working here since '99, this time around, and I've *never* seen a new Santana on the road around here, as yet.

Reply to
Peter A

Thats really weird the spanish utilities are buying british and the british buying spanish I suppose thats what the closer union aims of the EU is supposed to be about but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Derek

Reply to
Derek

What Spanish products are British utilities buying?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Santana PS10's seem to be flavour of the moment although I did pass one around Cumnock that looked like a 130 inch double cab pickup difficult to tell as I was motoring on and so was he from a distance I thought it was a Landy but the front end is a giveaway as you get near. I'll have a closer look while I'm round the lakes tomorrow and see whats about. Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote

Aren't Santana made in Portugal?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Not heard of it but it wouldn't surprise me the company is Santana Motor S.A. of Spain but stuff is being built all over the shop these days, wierd enough but they also build a model called the Santana 300/350 and that looks more Vitara than owt else so they seem to have deals with Land Rover , Iveco (is that still Fiat and Ford ? ) and Suzuki busy little Iberian bunnies and whatever it is seems to be working

Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:08:04 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

only if they've moved.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Huw" wrote

Hmm. Anares in Southern Spain. Apparently they are called Anibal in Spain.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:38:42 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

They've been building suzukis under licence for some time. I expect it's to do with import tariffs or something historically.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They have been building Suzuki based vehicles back in the days when the factory was closely cooperating with Land Rover (LR had a big percentage of shares) And they have even produced Suzuki based vehicles with Land Rover VIN plates. They were the very first Santana 410/413 (the spanish made Samurai 410/413)

The old name of the factory was Metalurgica Di Santa Ana which turned out to become "Santana" They still produce the LT85 gearbox, parabolic springs (they were the original makers of the parabolic springs for the Spanish assembled Landies) and they also produce parts required for disk brake and power steering kits for Series Landies.

But now their main activity is related to the Hannibal PS10 military and civilian specifications vehicles, the new three doors short wheelbase model and Suzuki based vehicles.

A UK based company

is supplying them with locking diffs for the PS10 for both army and civilian vehicles.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos