Strange power steering leak

Hi Folks,

There we were, waiting to go on an outing into the Domboshawa Hills just North of Harare. I look at another vehicle (SWB Landcruiser) and ask what the fluid under the car is. That was just aircon water. The my wife says what's that coming out of our car (300Tdi Discovery). First look under bonnet revealed a small split in the header tank seam, but further investigation showed red fluid (ATF) coming from somewhere near the power steering box (box not pump). We couldn't see where it was coming from, but probably from the top. I reckon about 50ml of fluid came out at a steady drip. Managed to buy some more ATF at a nearby garage, and checked levels, and leak seemed to have miraculously stopped. Two days later, no sign of a leak.

So where would this of come from? Why just the one big leak, and then OK again? My thought is that for some reason we got a pressure build up and the oil got forced back past the input shaft seal. Anybody else seen anything like this before?

Merry Christmas to all our posters! Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Graham Carter uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I recall a story that leaving the steering on full lock for around 30 seconds or so is highly likely to blow the seals... maybe you had a near terminal seal failure experience. Get some one to roll it from lock to lock with the engine running and see if it weaps in the process. Don't leave it on full lock any longer than necessary though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My 200Tdi did it for about a week then self-sealed. The local landrover chap said it was best to keep topping it up as the the recon ones are not worth the risk and a new one would cost a load. Funny enough it sealed itself as I said. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I had a leak from my steering box that self-sealed, odd that. Also my clutch slave cylinder also leaked for a week or so, hasn't leaked again in years. Master clutch cylinder jammed a few times, topped it up and pumped it a few times, and now it only sticks once every few months.

So land rovers are becoming self healing, will it be self-awareness next? Perhaps land rovers aren't being knicked, perhaps they're off forming a colony of the master race prior to invading human society and taking over.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd always assumed Land Rovers were self aware - just stand within earshot of yours and say "I'm going to sell it" and see what happens :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I did that, it didn't break but in the pictures you can distinctly see it pulling faces and deliberately drooling, tricky little thing..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:42:33 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I had one which was leaking from the input shaft and chucked some of that seal-swelling stuff in it, which produced the desired effect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for your input folks. Obviuosly, power steering leaks like this are not uncommon.

I hope that my power steering box isn't about to give out, but hopefully, it will carry on for a bit. Dizzy has now done 205,000km, and is obviously feeling her(his) age, but I can't afford, or want to replace her.

Merry christmas folks. Graham Carter.

Reply to
Graham Carter