steering shudder.

had this problem with a mates s2a lwb. when steering is at full lock (or within about half a turn of full lock) the whole front-end starts shaking quite violently. doesn't matter how slow your going. even in low-first crawling along at about 2 kmh it shakes enough to knock your teeth out. anyone got any ideas?? i am assuming it's something like stiff cv joints. sound about right???

any advice would be good.

cheers.

sam

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Check the tyres are not fouling the bodywork or chassis. It's possible the steering lock stop bolts are missing, or it may be fouling due to larger tyres being fitted.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

no, tyres are all original. the whole thing is original. i think the only part that has been replaced on the whole vehicle is the front diff. i'll have a look at the tyres when at full-lock, but it really doesn't feel like that to me. however i will have a look.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Stuck in 4wd?

Reply to
SimonJ

According to Bill Gates, on Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:04:56 GMT, "SimonJ" knelt at the big white telephone and heaved this into alt.fan.landrover:

I have a similar steering shudder with my 110 ( another thread ), but I think that your problem is due to a siezed CV driveshaft joint or your transmission is indeed stuck in 4WD as suggested here.

I had an identical fault when I broke a rear half-shaft on my old 2A. I put the Landy into 4WD to get home and also suffered a violent shuddering when driving with the steering on either lock.

Mark

Reply to
Rocket

It isn't a fault as such. It's a limit in the axle design. It shouldn't happen in 2wd.

If it does happen in 2wd, either the transfer box is stuck in 4wd or something is going wrong inside the front axle.

In 2wd you should be able to jack up a front wheel, turn it, and see the front prop-shaft turn.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Check that 4wd is disengaging correctly. Jack up one side of the vehicle and rotate the back wheel. If the front one turns as well, then 4wd is not disengaging properly.

If it doesn't turn, then you are going to have to start looking at the axle, possibly diff problem, or seized half-shaft UJ.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

so when in 4wd, you really shouldn't put the steering to full-lock???

i can't remember if we tried it in 2wd, put i'll have a go. if it doesn't do it in 2wd i will assume that it's all hunky-dory.

cheers fellas.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Could be the steering stops are set to too sharp a turn allowing the yokes on the u-joints to foul - note that series Landrovers do not use CV joints, but cross and bearing identical to the ones on the prop shafts. You will get a similar problem if using four wheel drive on a hard surface. JD

Reply to
JD

In 4wd, you shouldn't be on a hard (grippy) surface. The wheels are rotating at different speeds; because you're turning. However, because there's no centre differential, the drivetrain is attempting to move the front wheels at the same speed as the rear wheels. Something's got to give; the shuddering is the tyres being 'scraped' across the ground.

Reply to
Steve Morgan