Sunroof: Is that all there is?

Took a Discovery II on a test drive and noticed the front sunroof has those black pull-type shades that people can buy for their side windows that pull up and down. They're black with tiny holes in them. Was surprised to see two of them side by side with about a 1/2" gap. My Explorer has a cover you slide back and forth if you want light or complete coverage. I am surprised a well-built vehicle like the Landy has shoddy shades. Did I miss something or is this the way the Landy is made. I suppose one can have the sunroof tinted with a dark covering for better protection from UV rays. Just curious.

Reply to
Artisanwomyn

Twas 27 Feb 2004 13:40:59 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@cs.comnojunk (Artisanwomyn) put finger to keyboard producing:

I think you should be satisfied that it didn't drip on you throughout the test drive. ;o)

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

|| Took a Discovery II on a test drive and noticed the front sunroof || has those black pull-type shades that people can buy for their side || windows that pull up and down. They're black with tiny holes in || them. Was surprised to see two of them side by side with about a || 1/2" gap. My Explorer has a cover you slide back and forth if you || want light or complete coverage. I am surprised a well-built || vehicle like the Landy has shoddy shades. Did I miss something or || is this the way the Landy is made. I suppose one can have the || sunroof tinted with a dark covering for better protection from UV || rays. Just curious.

Yep, that all there is. Works, though.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The same style of sunroof with the double blinds can also be found in Hyundai Accent's as well, just thought you would like to know. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Is that a testimony to quality? :)

Reply to
David French

Your Explorer has a *moon* roof......the Discovery has a *sun* roof.

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Hmm good point, although i must admit the one in my brothers Accent does not let in water. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mr.Nice. at snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-clara.co.uk wrote on 27/2/04 2:12 pm:

A drip! It's more like being squirted with icy water from a water pistol, right down the back of your neck. The sunblinds do their job anyway and both of ours have endured being pinged by four sets of hands for the past7 years - and still work.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

So there's a problem with the sunroof leaking? Sheesh!!! I don't mean to put the Landy down as it's always been high on my list of cars I want to own, but I didn't realize the Discovery II is AWD and not 4WD. My Explorer is 4WD and I feel there is more control using a 4WD. I found the power buttons being on the console hard to get to as they face forward instead of towards the driver. I have to admit that I find my Explorer much more of a comfortable ride than I did the Landy. I still love the lines and look of the Landy and suppose if/when the day comes that I ever buy one, I know I will be giving up some of the luxuries/comforts that I have come to know so well in the Explorer. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Artisanwomyn

The best car Henry made was the model "T"..... He should have stopped there.

"> So there's a problem with the sunroof leaking? Sheesh!!! I don't mean to put

Reply to
Simon Mills

Discovery, like Defender ,90/110 and all genesis of the Range Rover ( classic , P38A and L322) is full time four wheel drive with a proper three diff system

It can be argued that freelander is 'all wheel drive'

your Explorer like a Series Land rover is Part time 4 wheel drive

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

Twas 29 Feb 2004 06:25:40 GMT when snipped-for-privacy@cs.comnojunk (Artisanwomyn) put finger to keyboard producing:

What do you mean, AWD not 4WD? drive is delivered to 4 wheels, all it has is 4 wheels so 4WD = AWD surely?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

i thik this person is getting

'full time' 4wd as seen in disco/ defi/ RR and 'all wheel drive' as seen in many '4 wd' Cars and to a lesser extent Freelander

primarily because a lot of the merkin stuff still has RWD with selectable 4 wheel drive as per series landie

Reply to
Martyn Hodson

I believe that americans use the term AWD to decribe things like the Freelander as opposed to 4WD which they use to describe a part-time 4WD system that forces drive to both axles.

Reply to
Exit

Personally I prefer leaking sunroofs to the multiple deaths and huge litigation that has surronded the Exploder for many years, but that's just me I guess. . . . . .

I don't

It's not, it's proper fulltime 4WD. LR deleted the central diff-lock for a while because they felt consumers in the US were confused by it but subsequently re-introduced it.

My Explorer is 4WD and I feel there is more control using a

Power buttons? For which power?

I have to admit

You do?

I still love the lines and look of the Landy and suppose

Well as the Discovery is only based on the Range Rover it can't really be expected to have the luxury and comfort of your pick-up truck based explorer now can it. . . . . . . ;-)

Reply to
Exit

I seem to be one of the few whose Disco sunroofs do not leak (at least when they are closed). What's the problem with full-time 4WD (also known as AWD)? If the need arises the front-rear diff can be locked at any time. As for the power buttons, forearm on the cubby box and I find the buttons are immediately under the fingers where I need them.

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI Triumph Sprint Exec

Reply to
Keith

Um...I owned an Explorer and in comparison to my ES Disco..........

Let's just say Ford can keep the Exploder....ands yes, I had a horrible time with it. If you google for Neil Brownlee + Explorer you may well be able to find the whole sorry story....9 months of hell. The exploder low-box system sucks, as it locks the centre so you can't use it on tarmac!!!!

Neil

Neil Brownlee

I thought a merkin was a chest wig?

Reply to
David French

Well, chest in the sense of ladies' rude bits, yes.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.news.cs.com, Artisanwomyn at snipped-for-privacy@cs.comnojunk wrote on 29/2/04 6:25 am:

The sunroof doesn't always leak on the Discovery. There is a fix for it and on alot of occassions on ours, which are manual open and close, its down to me not being stong enough to close them with a proper seal. > but I

Control of a vehicle is down to how its driven. Do Explorers have a chassis like Land Rovers do?

Best stick with an Explorer then if that's what you feel happier driving.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley