Td5 engine Turbo control

Hello

As a good landrover owner, Í'm always curious how it's works. The last days I noticed some poor engine respons, not very hard, but it seems theres is something missing.... Looking at the turbo, and in the workshop manual I came with some questions, maybe someone has the answers. The defender Td5 MY2002 workshop manual speaks about a Garrett GT20 turbocharger with an electronically controlled wastegate modulator. Looking in the engine bay, I see the a turbo, but no wires. Only a smal pressure hose from the activator to the big tube between the turbo and the intercooler. No relays or other electrics. How does the ECU control the turbo? Or is there no control, just a sort of balance between the exhaust pressure and intakepressure? Looking in the elcetrical diagrams I cannot find a turbo, regulator or something connected to the turbo.

The manual (chapter engine management system, page 27) speaks about control signals to the wastegate modulator. The ECU controls the amount of boost pressure..... (just for sure, I did'nt see any small pressure hoses on the ECU under the front seat......)

last question, is it possible the move the turbowastegate linkage by hand? (with engine off) Just for checking, it isn't stuck. and with little force? (I can't move mine......)

Tjalf Defender 110

Reply to
Tjalf Bloem

What year is your Defender? If it's before 2002 they weren't fitted with the wastegate modulator/controller, even though the workshop manual says it does... Only the 2002-on models had them fitted.

As an aside, I believe (but I've not tried) that you can retrofit a modulator from a Discovery Td5, and a Td5 ECU, to give another 15 bhp from a pre 2002 Defender. But I've not tried it and don't really have the ability to at the moment :o(

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Whats the effect of modulation, and what controls it as parameters from the ECU, does anyone know ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

"Martin Lewis" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

hello Martin,

My defender is a 2002 model, build in august. Hoe does the modulater controller looks like?

Tjalf

Reply to
Tjalf Bloem

"Tjalf Bloem" schreef in bericht news:41e8cabf$0$6205$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Hello Martin, Great site you have on the TD5 transplant, I also find the answer on my question on your site. Thanks, I;m now going to look at the Discovery part, on my rave cd. I presume LR copied the TD5 part from the discovery in the defender workshopmanual.

If the actuator is not electronic, but just a pressure diagram, Then it should be moveable by hand, Can you confirm this? (or anyone else..)

Tjalf

Tjalf Bloem