E-series Vans vs. F-series Trucks, series of lame questions and musings

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already but...

Are E-series Vans essentially built on the F-series chassis of same denomination? In other words, if I were to pick up an E150 Cargo Van its towing capacity would be in the same ballpark as an F150 with the same engine, transmission, rear axle ratio etc... give or take a couple hundred pounds for body differences?

Tow vehicle in question is a hypothetical 2400 pound race car, plus a

4-wheel trailer (preferred) or a 2-wheel tow dolly (more realistic). Distance to travel: 10 miles round trip. Frequency: once, maybe twice a week, unless I'm working on said race car.

The reason I'd choose a Van over a truck is because:

a) I've already got a Ranger Pickup (but it's GVWR is nowhere near what I need) b) As redneck as this sounds, it'll also function as a storage shed for tools. I don't have a garage, and my house is small. Note that I specifically said a Cargo Van- I want the type with no rear windows or rear seats- just two seats up front and a lot of room. I'm also not proud. I'll take a ~$300 beater as long as it runs and drives reliably. I don't have far to go or anyone to impress.

I actually would prefer the 301 L6 with an automatic. I think that would be an excellent pulling combination. Am I wrong?

Anyone have a retired Cargo Van or similar, and know if they typically put extra tall gears in them for economy reasons?

thanks for any thoughts, flames, etc.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

I don't think they are the same engineering-wise, that said I would guess that towing capacities would be close to each other, all things being equal that can be.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

get the tow package

Reply to
asadi

cool. Thanks. Now I just need to find a beater Cargo Van. I see tons of Dodge and Chevrolet/GMCs for sale in the $300-$1000 range, but nobody wants to sell their Fords.

:-/

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Answers inline:

No, they're not, actually. The frame on a HD van is actually heavier duty. ;-) The running gear is similar or identical in many cases. Now, if you're talking about late models, there is a difference in engine output. The last I heard, the 3 valve per cylinder Tritons that are in the trucks were not available in the vans. The vans get the less potent 2 valve version. Same detuning occurs with the diesel. The only good reason for that I've heard is that it's a heat issue. The van engine bay just doesn't get enough airflow thru. As far as I know, that wouldn't apply to the older models tho.

Ford did install the 4.9 in those vans, even had an HD version. In fact, I've seen them with manual transmissions, which I think would be very cool. The last year you could get the 4.9 was prolly 95 or 96 tho. You'll have to look at that or earlier. The only downside I can think of is that you may have trouble with top end speed. If you want to use the 4.9, it'll be a durable engine. However, it doesn't rev well. Combine it with a 4.10 gear, or even a 3.73, and you'll be able to pull your trailer, but not be able to pass at highway speeds. I don't think I'd want a 3.55 to tow with on a regular basis. Even tho the 4.9 is torquey, it's still only 301ci.

If you want a bigger engine, a good bet would be a 95 351W van. That year came with roller rockers and a bump in output. In a 3/4 or 1 ton body, with an E4OD, and with a 3.73 or 4.10, you could pull anything you want. If you go bigger than that, you're talking a diesel or a 460 in earlier years, a V-10 in later years. The only drawback to those is the tight engine bay on such big engines. The 351 is bad enough, and the others are even wider.

As to what ratios you're likely to find, in my experience, GM is more apt to put in stupid ratios like 2.73. I actually had a 3/4 ton GMC van with a

2.73 axle that was pretty much useless. In Ford full size vans, and I've had 5 or 6, I've never had a ratio higher than 3.55. In fact the standard ratio for the E-150 w/ towing package is 3.55. I have had 4.10's in a couple of 1 ton vans too. Those two seem to be the most common ratios, from my experience.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

*Correction* The 4.9 I6 is 300ci. The 5.0 "302" is actually 301.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I made the same mistake ;) I *meant* 300 (4.9L) L6. I absolutely love inline sixes and that is what I would prefer to have. I'm not opposed to diesel, however.

I have seen plenty of cargo vans like this, with the 300 6 and a 4 or 5 speed manual. For pulling stuff I still think an automatic is better, but at this scale it may not matter much. Similarly, the trip to the local race track is 5 miles on a road that (IIRC) has a 50mph speed limit. I'm not too worried about passing anyone in that context. Any other use I can get out of the van is gravy.

I know it probably seems silly to buy a vehicle just to drive it 10 miles a week for 6 months out of the year, but I don't know what else to do, except for rent a truck from u-haul. In a pinch, I could get just *any* beater that I don't give two sh*ts about and drag around the race car with it until it dies, then pitch it and buy another. Any old detroit iron would work- I see stuff like LTDs and Caprices for sale all the time. I'd rather buy something only once though, and Cargo Vans are cool. ;-)

Thanks for the info! And I'll agree, that in a lot of cases (even if I'm being completely objective), Chevrolet's vehicles look great on paper but when you actually get to work with them, they just don't measure up to their lofty specs.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

What you're planning is a great use for a cargo van. Especially since you can use it for tool or part storage like you said. If top speed isn't a concern, I'd have no problem going with a 300 and a C-6, which is the trans you'll get in a 3/4 or 1ton van.

I agree with the GM comment. That GMC van I had ate 700R4 trannys for lunch because of the gearing. It could only stay in OD if it was on completely flat ground with no headwind. Anything at all would make it hunt between gears, lock and unlock. The previous owner, who actually gave it to me, had rebuilt the tranny 3 times in 90k miles.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The C-6 was a great tranny, 3 speed. Take the 700R4, and when your towing or heavy loaded get it out of over drive, and it did well too. Also if the TVS cable was not adjusted properly they hunt and peck. The ford e4od early years were unreliable. And there were problems with the column shifters breaking. And the one tons had rear diff issues. We had a fleet of them last company I worked for. By the time the 2002 came out, seems the problems went away. The 300 will pull anything you want to move. As to race car on a dolly, get a trailer. You snap an axle, mess up the diff on launch, or god forbid smack the wall if she gets sideways, how do you get it home on a dolly?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The problem is how 'white trash' it will make my postage stamp yard look, though :( Maybe I can rent a stall in some nearby farmer's barn or shed. Some of them do that, IIRC.

What years were these? Just so I know, in case I can't find my 300/C6 combo. :-)

Yeah I know. I *do* want a trailer, but $1000 vs. $250 might mean I get to start out with a dolly and work my way up. ;)

I'm kinda excited about the prospect of getting a new ride. I just love cars, all of them, and since I bought the Ranger 7 years ago I haven't had anything else. I miss the 'new to me' honeymoon of buying something. The Van will probably give me something to wrench on too... which is something I've not done for about 10 years now. I kind of miss that.

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton