THE BUDGET

Well my gas guzzling Disco is gonna cost me £400 a year but it dont pollute that much, about 25mpg. It only gets used at the weekend. How about all these porsches and other such cars, BMW's Merc's etc are they gonna get stomped on too. Or is it just the reserve of the 4X4 that are gonna have to cough up.

Resigned but not defeated

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Well, you could try reading a little about it before venting spleen!

If your disco is not in band G, which if it's not pretty much new it won't be, then no it won't be taxed that much. And yes band G does have lots of porsches, BMWs etc in it so they will get the same. There's many more non-4x4s than 4x4s in band G.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings wibbled:

yes yes yes I know - but it doesn't make sensational news does it?

Reply to
Buzby

Oh sorry, am I spoiling someone's wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth? ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Really its just total bollocks ( pretty much like everything government does) the vast majority of band G cars are company cars so the users have no financial penalty to suffer. If that tw*t Brown really wanted to "encourage" the use of more enviromentally friendly cars the way to do it would by increasing the tax penalty for company car users of the least economical motors rather than the blatent revenue raising measure which is about to catch you.

Derek Taxes? what use is jam tomorrow (next year) when your bread is being knicked today

Reply to
Derek

It's a farce :

My Gas Guzzling Supercharged RR - Band F

My mates Gas Guzzling Supercharged RR - Band G

The difference? None bar the fact mine was registered 9th March 2006 and his April 2006....

Dumb dumb dumb ....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

It's all a farce!! You pay about 3 or 4 times as much petrol duty as I do, so why should you be hit with a headline grabbing 'green' tax on top of that? Just a government of gesture and posture, absolutely no substance. When you think, just about any other area of life you pay for what you use, so what possible reason can they provide for continuing with the 'Road Fund Licence'?

Reply to
John Moppett

It's a means of tracking who owns which cars, otherwise the tax would have been transferred to petrol & diesel years ago.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Apart from Council Tax.

Govt answer is the tax is not predicated, so it can be spent on anything they like. It hasn't been reserved for road expenditure for many decades. Best to regard it as general taxation, like VAT. If they called it "General Motoring Tax" or something, it would at least be honest.

Reply to
Rich B

Agrred. My Freelander escapes fortunately but my wife's Mercedes car attracts the extra tax - it is a company car so who cares!

Jim

Reply to
jim

The company? Somebody still has to fund the extra costs, either by cutting other costs or raising prices.

Lizzy Taylor

or writing it off against tax? like other essential expenses. If there was more of an incentive to have a more economical car then maybe a few more 'sales exec' types wouldn't be looking at the lastest BMW/Mercedes arms race to prove they have more standing in the company than the next bloke (ette) . I've been in transport long enough to know that money is no object where sales departments are concerned the penny pinching comes when buying fleet vehicles that actually do the work they are busily selling. Derek

Reply to
Derek

The people who lose their jobs when extra tax cuases a company to go bust/out-source/move abroad should care a great deal. It might come as surprise to many (particularly local government) that companies actually have to earn the extra to pay increased tax!

As it happens the 2% drop in Corporation Tax could (if the company is big enough) offset the extra car tax this time, but it won't cover enforced additional stupid expeneses - the current one is being made to put up no-smoking signs for July 1st - an utterly ridiculous waste of money for everyone. At the end of the day, it's you, dear customers, who pay for all such stupidity - a company has no money except that from earned from what it sells!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah, right, we as a company had a "fleet" of two vehicles (neither of which were eye-catching "look how much I'm worth" types) which we no longer have as the personal tax costs became crippling. Nor did the company replace them annually or whatever. Don't judge all businesses, especially small ones, by your experience of big fleets.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Er 2 vehicles = fleet? my point exactly there is no point in an arms race in a small company but when you get into (and beyond) double figures it gets competitive upper managers get Jags/mercs/ lexus (lexi?) down to lowly junior sales in mundanos and astras thnakfully I don't have to deal with that side of it these days. Derek

Reply to
Derek