The Chassis Went Crunch

Hi All,

Just a quickie regarding the small crossmember that mounts and protects the back end of the gearbox.

After a very successful morning offroading (keeping up with modified Suzuki Sjs etc) I hit a rock quite hard and pushed the said crossmember up against the transfer box, chisel and hammer later its off the box but very poorly, the gearbox mounts are still ok, do I need to replace this member in the short term? i.e is it critical to the strength of the rest of the chassis?

Thanks

Rog

Reply to
Rog

im not a proffessional at chassis, but i think think this crossmember does two jobs,

  1. keeps the legs tru and straight, you might find when u come to put the new one on, that its rather very tight or near impossible to fit in, depends how hard you hit it, and whether it split /tore due to the impact.
  2. it does add rigidity to the rest of the chassis, primarily stops it twisting and flexing.

id make it this weekends job, in fact you can come to mine on sat,sun,mon,and tuesday as im having a 1/2 chassis replacement party,

regards

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

I'd replace it - it's easy to cut off and weld on a new one, I'm surprised it didn't fall to pieces due to rot before now ;)

Don't know if I'd necessarily say do it in the short term though. Check the alignment of everything to see how essential - don't want the props/drivetrain running at strange angles and putting extra strain on mounts.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod