the "smaller person" and 90's

Evening all

management has given me permission to change the rangie - more because I cant make a classic look or feel anymore modern than it is! - so

I'm thinking of going Disco or 90 - however, having only just managed to get the rangie into our newly acquired garage this morning, I think I am going to go down the 90 route.

So, those of you that know me know that svelte is a word that I can spell, not a thing that I am

Any 90/110 (guessing the driving position is the same) drivers who are 6'4, over 24 stone (mostly in the waist!) feet that make Bigfoot feel insecure out there?

I'm guessing that the mountings for the seat can be "fiddled" with, in the way that a welding torch and an afternoon allows most things green oval to be modified.

Cheers

Si

Reply to
Si K

I'm 6'5" and a bit anorexic at 18 stone. I fit in an 88" OK - a 90 is pure luxury!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I'm obviously underweight at 6' 3" & 17 stone but I fit fine in any of LR products!

Reply to
Nige

I'm 6ft and 20 stone, and I fit in an 88, provided some idiot hasn't fitted those deluxe seats to it, which move you forward about 3".

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I am getting a bit worried now - I think I'd better up my carb intake a bit - I'm obviously dangerously underweight ;-)

I was chuffed the other day - an American visitor to work said upon seeing me: "At last, a proper sized man" - I didn't know whether to hug her or punch her! I went for the hug in the end...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

"Si K" wrote >

Well I'm 6ft and only 16.5 stone but I do have trouble with the seating in both my 90 and my S111, the cabin is narrow because they forced a silly little third seat in and as I have wide shoulders my right shoulder is always against the door. I also have to tuck my right elbow in to avoid Landy Elbow (mainly on the S111). So the driving position is not therefore conducive to long runs.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Simon Atkinson" wrote

She *was* talking about your waistline, I hope - or are you just braggin'?

;-)

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twas Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:36:28 +0100 when "Si K" put finger to keyboard producing:

I have a 1984 110 csw and I'm 6'4" and 15 stone, not alot of that is fat and I'm not sure there would be room for much, mostly between me and the door, a waistline may take-up that space leaving no room for an elbow. Find someone who has one and climb-in and see how you feel in it. I'm in east cornwall if that helps.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:31:11 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

well, I'm about 6'1" and about 20 stone, and with the standard seats found the 110 a bit cramped. Changing the seats let 'em go back further, which improved matters. As to the elbow/door thing, you just hold the steering wheel at the top instead of at "quarter past".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Heh - although I'd like to think otherwise, it was the height and 'sturdy' build...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Get a Santana PS-10. They've removed the centre seat and moved the other two inwards.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote ... in reply to "Bob >

Interesting! Have they moved the controls inwards too so it's all in line and allowing more elbow room too, or are the steering wheel and pedals in the same old position and therefore offset to the seat and still with no elbow room on the right hand side?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Doesnt that make the angle you sit at a bit wierd? (not that i'd notice since my mate assures me that my saab is out of line - and i've never noticed!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm 5'8" and 11½ stone, so I kind of like the deluxe seats! ;)

Steve - still too big for chimneys.

Reply to
Steve

I believe the controls are moved as well, as Santana have put considerably more thought into the bodywork than landrover ever did.

Quote:

"The seat boxes of earlier models have gone, allowing the reclining front seats to be mounted inboard giving increased elbow room and more fore and aft movement for taller drivers. The rear seats too have been moved back with a consequent benefit to passenger comfort and space."

"The double skin, one piece insulated resin roof keeps cabin temperature cool in the midday sun, while preventing leaks and condensation in winter weather. The material has the added benefits of good sound deadening properties and is easy to clean and will withstand knocks and damage when loading and transporting awkward loads or tools and equipment, or the family's pet Labrador."

"The 14 rubber mounting blocks reduce noise transmitted into the cabin from the road wheels and transmission and take out shock loading from rough road surfaces."

Which are really points that Landrover should have addressed years ago, when they introduced the 90/110. And it's cheaper than a landrover as well!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:12:03 GMT, Alex enlightened us thusly:

If I was in the market, I'd be interested. I wish they did one with the higher-power engine though - the Iveco 2.8 is avbailable with 145 ponies or so as well as the 125 version they actually use.

body also has a wider rear door and smaller rear wheelboxes. Seen one in action off-road, no noticeable problems.

Mind, I moved the seats in by 1" on my 110, having removed the centre one, and that 1" makes a lot of difference.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:09:47 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

Saabs are seriously out of line, we used to have a 900.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ditto Porsche 911's.

Reply to
EMB

Ditto all BMW's, all Cosworths too.

The Subaru WRX I just got today has possibly the best driving position I have ever known, coupled to 0-60 in 5.7 seconds & 4wd it's a nice machine! Even the wife liked the drive!

So, now to find a nice RRC for those cold winter months in the garage!!!

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige