Top Gear Hammond hurt in bad crash

Jet car, bad crash, sent to neurological unit.

I stopped watching top gear after the pathetically faked caravan sketch but at least he is/was a landy fan!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Lets hope Hamster pulls through OK . TV would be so much poorer without his input and there would be a deal more caravans about . Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yea I just read about the accident, I hope he will be OK. After all who else could Clarkson pick on other than the Hamster? Plus he liked Landy's too.

Reply to
Cyberwraith

I think it may even be a requirement of the job - a grasp on sanity all the presenters of recent times seem to have owned a Landy excepting maybe Tiff Needell.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Yeah but ISTR Hammond's was a lightweight, not a range rover or other luxury barge, which is different.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

AFAIK He has a Series One and a blinged up 110 (thanks to one of the Land Rover shows). Hope he recovers....

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:12:04 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Well, I have to say I thought the caravan sketch was hilarious. And it did, in amongst the slapstick, have an almost-complete list of "things the novice can screw up", all the way from selecting a too-feeble tow car down to setting fire to the van.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:57:23 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

and Tiff Needell is a prat anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The TopGear website states his condition is "stable".

aghasee

I thought it was an early Series 2, BICBW. What made me love him (in a manner of speaking) was the way he talked about never polishing it as it had a patina like a piece of old furniture that he didn't want to spoil. He understood.

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P

Exactly, it was hardly meant to be serious, but did cover some serious stuff.

Reply to
Nige

I can just see Clarkson in the next series ...

"And who wants to see his lap?" "Lets roll the tape"

:-)

Reply to
EMB

"You know, our hamster did test this jet-powered car. We had to do two takes, cos the first time 'round Richard had a little fender-bender..."

On a serious note; I really hope Mr. Hammond gets out of this mess allright though.

Reply to
aghasee

In message , aghasee writes

Reply to
hugh

The problem I have with such things is not just one I have with top gear, and it's the freeform mixing of truth with fiction. Some of us can spot the fakery quite easily but most people who spoke about the caravan sketch to me didn't spot it was fake. Their lap times on the test track are also taken as gospel by some, a chap I know was involved in recording the test times for the "Radical" track car they did some time ago. The recorded time was posted on the board in front of the studio audience before the car had done the track as the weather had been too bad for it to get a run so they just guessed a time and filmed it when they could.

Then of course there's the horrendous simplification, the overdone enthusiasm about yet another shopping trolley with a fat engine "handling like nothing else" etc etc etc

I think I'm getting old ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think you are ;-)

Hammond's condition "improved" overnight according to:

aghasee

just? seems to me that 'not currently dying' is a good thing (tm)

MMV

Reply to
William Tasso

Bugger, hope he recovers okay. Well, not that he's listening, but get well soon to Hammond.

What faked caravan sketch?

Reply to
Torak

They did a sketch in which they went on a caravan holiday and ended up setting fire to the caravan, however if you look carefully you can see that all the presenters are inflatable copies of themselves.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:12:35 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

heard "serious brain damage" earlier, so on balance, maybe dying instantly at the scene might have been better... mind, some brain damage is mostly-recoverable.

I don't think we'll see him back on TG any time soon though, which is sad.

Reply to
Austin Shackles