Totally OT -mobile phone

I am always amazed by the knowledge available from this group so here goes: I've just acquired a brand new Sony Ericsson K800i mobile phone which is locked to O2. I have the unlock code but no idea how to get into the unlock screen. Any ideas?

Thanks TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Nokia you can do with a code, but i think that Sony needs to have a laptop and a cable...

Might be wrong though.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

silly question, but have you tried just typing the code in?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Yeah, you get 5 goes and I've tried twice - it says "wrong code ", but it's the one O2 gave me specifically for that phone.

You can do it via the cable but that costs, it can definitely be done by typing in the code but there are 5 code screens altogether and I'm reluctant to try them all in case I louse it up.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I have one of those ~ bloody brilliant phone. Can't answer your question directly but here are a couple of web sites you might find the answer on:

I've found these to be most useful in the past.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Sat, 17 Nov 2007 20:30:05 -0000, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

you sure it's locked?

I had one on contract, and it's not locked.

I did find a way of re-flashing it to generic (which removes the O2-specific menu items, an' all), costs the princely sum of 10 euros but you need the USB lead if you've not got that. Oh, and a computer and the internet...

google for davinci team.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've been on O2 for years, and none of the phones I had off them on contract have ever been locked.

Have you tried a different SIM?

Reply to
SimonJ

I agree, mine's on O2 but works with other sims, well worth just trying a new sim in the phone.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks to all, I'm slowly learning. O2 gave me an "Unlock " code which actually turns out to be an "Unblock" code, the difference being that the first allows the use of other sims but the second only allows a locked keypad to be overidden. O2 will not release the correct code. I have tried different sims of course but no luck.

Re-branding or re-flashing does not allow unlocking, merely removes the providers software and takes you back to the generic Sony E software, which is actually no bad thing I'm told.

I was trying to do this without paying a penny but the guys in the Orange shop have had no luck, the O2 shop were quite rude to me ( "Why did you buy an O2 phone if you want an Orange account?" ) - I didn't buy it - it was a present.

Finally I've been forced to try a company online called Unlock Telecom.co.uk which has cost me a fiver. They say the unlock code will be emailed to me by 5.30 pm today. We'll see.

Thanks again TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

And also on the topic of phones:

has anybody here used a nokia n95. Are they as slow and shitty and prone to crashing as the older nokia nxx types? (i think it is an n70 I had it as the last work phone and it was so slow and shitty and prone to crashing that i stopped using it and used a really old proper nokia instead)

Reply to
Tom Woods

The N95 probably has about the worst press of any phone out there, but I have one, and have never had any problems with it locking or crashing as reported. I know of several people who also have one, without problem. The only thing which is a problem with mine is the sat-nav, which is so unreliable as to be totally useless (it takes about 45 minutes to get a location fix, then looses it again within 5 minutes and takes another 15 mins to pick it up again)

Reply to
SimonJ

In a dim and distant universe , SimonJ muttered:

[Snippety snip]

Might be worth doing a firmware update on your phone, as the latest firmware improves the Satnav software and adds some new features.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Vigay

Tricks to improve the battery life would be a good idea. If you use any of the smart features it goes flat faster than an early P38 in an airport car-park.

nigelH N95 user

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

It's not on contract, it's pay and go. The unblock company failed and will refund the fee. I'm now trying to de-brand by flashing the software which will unlock it too. Using a company called GSMLiberty. At present they have failed to send a required password so emails are flying back and forth across the pond. Still waiting.....

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:02:57 -0000, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

I found this lot good:

10 euros to reflash the phone with the latest software, and remove the O2 menu s**te.

which reminds me, anyone want to buy a K800i, ex-O2 contract, reflashed (mainly cos it decided to fail to boot one day). 's about a year old and has had average use, all present and correct, got a case an half-gig memory card, and I daresay I could find a mains charger for it.

they're going on ebay last I looked anything from about 70 to 100 notes, depending on how many toys with it.

Staying on contract to O2 for another year got me a free upgrade to the k850, which came with a half-gig card.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Blast. If I'd known that I'd have had it off your hands Austin. This firm sent the passwords but then the client software wouldn't work. To be fair, in the meantime they mailed and said that I had ordered a usb cable that I didn't need and with my permission they were refunding the money for it! They have now released a new client which is busily downloading ( BT seem to think download speeds of 15.6kps constitutes broadband. I know we're a bit backward in these parts but that's just taking the p****.) Anyway, as soon as it's completed I'll have another go and report back. Might be next week at this rate though.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

What are you downloading that takes so long? Wouldn't be a big database by any chance?

Reply to
Dougal

sounds exactly like the old nokia n series phone. Not sure i want to go through that again! What are my other options like? what similar phones are there that will come free on the same sort of contract? I'm getting one of the ones with unlimited data too so want one that supports that and that i can use with linux (which the nokia one would appear to be usable with)

Reply to
Tom Woods

|which reminds me, anyone want to buy a K800i, ex-O2 contract, reflashed |(mainly cos it decided to fail to boot one day). 's about a year old and |has had average use, all present and correct, got a case an half-gig memory |card, and I daresay I could find a mains charger for it. | |they're going on ebay last I looked anything from about 70 to 100 notes, |depending on how many toys with it. | |Staying on contract to O2 for another year got me a free upgrade to the |k850, which came with a half-gig card.

I'll give you 50 notes for it. call me on zero triple seven5,

794545 if you want to do the dirty deed!

Cheers.

Howie.

Reply to
Howie