Alarm Problem - not spider

Well I'm at a loss now.

I had experienced the odd refusal to start, which was cured by turning off, and then arming and disarming the alarm, and was thinking that I would soon be needing to replace the spider.

So I was not surprised when the truck just refused to open, or close on the plip and the immobilser was stuck on.

Having ripped apart the dash, and fitted one of those natty bypass plugs, I was disappointed to still get no response.

The EKA code worked, but then there was a clicking sond from the passenger footwell. Now the Alarm sounds, or pings, or dies, and the central locking and other electrics appear completely dead.

All fuses are still in tact. Every so often the clicking will stop and I'll have power, or i wont.

The clicking is coming from a slim green box which I assume is the alarm module.

Do I need a new one, and if so will I need a main stealer to re- programme the whole thing for me?

Bloody cars!

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Possibly one of our regular netizens may have an answer but I would need to know what particular vehicle you were refering to before I started probing RAVE. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Sorry, talk about overlook the obvious.

Its a 97 discovery v8i.

Reply to
mike whiskey

Starting with the obvious - battery's OK in the Plip? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Both plips were working fine until this happened. If just one had gone then I would suspect the battery, but withthe alarm not responding to either, plus the odd clicking, and chirping from the alarm, lead me to think thecaris the problem.

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Well, it gets stranger. I removed the alarm module, cleaned up the contacts and put it all back together, along with the spider bypass. Used the EKA, and re synched the plips and all is well.

Till tonight, when It died completely. Totally electrically dead. No interior light, headlights anything electrical at all.

After a few minutes of head scratching inoticed that the alarm light was blinking, opened the door, and the clicking was back, along with the LED blinking very quickly.

No start or any other electrics still.

I tried disconnecting the battery, and as i disconnected it there was a very small spark, as if something was alive. I reconnected the battery, and everything was live. input the EKA, resynched the plip and all was back to normal.

Is there some sort of cut off solenoid that can completely isolate the car? what might be triggering it?

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Cars do have a interia switch, essentially to cut the fuel pump(s) in the event of crash. With all the electronics is cars these days I expect that the signal from an interia switch goes through one somewhere rather than simply being the in fuel pump power line.

It's a straw, you may as well clutch it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I found the inertia switch, and pressed the rest. It made a click, that was not repeated when i pressed it again. Is it possible that it was partially tripped?

It has behaved impeccably today, and has had quite a few stops and starts, so fingers crossed!

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

A possibilty, a click then nothing sort of indicates it wasn't "happy". Have have you hit anything a bit hard recently, may be a pothole or big kerb if not a tree? Is the interia switch vulnerable to being kicked?

Damn good straw if the problem really has gone away, let us know.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:35:24 -0800 (PST), mike whiskey enlightened us thusly:

I know someone who tripped one of those by landing on the far side of a hump-backed bridge.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Which Landrover is it? and where is the inertia switch located for it?

Just out of interest so it can be eliminated from other peoples electrical gremlins ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

96 Discovery, behind the Washer bottle in the engine bay.

Not aware of hitting anything hard since a speed bump on the test drive. (too busy chatting and listening to notice the unmarked bump. Owner was unpeturbed, and car didn't seem worried at the time.

perhaps it was unseated, and slowly working it's way free?

perhaps it's jsut the gremlins out to get me!

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Lol, sounds like it couldn't have been tripped, or as you say not tripped fully ... mine has hit lots more than speed bumps, including a three foot drop onto rocks which bent the towbar mounting plate, and straight into a tree [1] at about 15mph, and it's never happened to it ... so far ... ;)

But thanks, I'll have a looksee on mine 'just so I know' ... ;)

[1] Not, I hasten to add, with me driving it. Indeed the only casualty was the tree and my son who _was_ driving it, though his injuries were not inflicted in the accident ... ;)
Reply to
Paul - xxx