Tow hitch problem

First post in about 4 yrs!!! Nice to see some people still here - in particular Austin Shackles - a few other names look familiar as well....

Just bought a lovely Discovery 300tdi 1998 - just fitted a Dixon Bate adjustable tow hitch. The thing I am not very happy with is the way the side rail attaches to the chassis by the hydraulic step. The bolt acts as a pivot for the step and if you tighten it up too much the step stays put.

In theory it doesnt matter if the nut is really tight or not as long as it doesn't come off but when I spoke to Dixon Bate they said if the nut isn't tight enough then the holes in the chassis could elongate leadingf to failiure.

To be honest I have never been very happy about the size of those bolts through the chassis anyway but I really don't want to go welding on bigger cross tubes on a mint vehicle like this!!!

Anyone else got experience of this? Am I just being paranoid? I will be towing a 3 ton boat!!!

Reply to
Vince

Welcome back.... still got your RR classic as well?

Take the step off and throw it away. Then get a step that fits on to your adjustable tow hitch in place of the tow ball and carrier, one that has its own carrier that you stick the pin through. I'd take a picture, but it's dark and cold :-(

You then get a height adjustable step which doesn't rot away and is easily removable for off roading etc. Great things.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Bloody hell you've got a good memory!!! Yes still got it - still not on the road though!!! Also have a 110 V8 CSW - was driving it but then someone offered to resore it for me - now it's in bits and I will have to put it back together myself - NOT amused!!!

Good point about the rear step but I do like the standard one - maybe I will turn up a long bush/pin to go right through.

Reply to
Codprawn