Tow Hitch Weight Rating

Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a boat and plan to tow it with my '94 Cadillac Fleetwood. This is the fullsize RWD model, brother to the Chevy Caprice. The Fleetwood was available with a factory tow package rated for 7500 pounds. Mine didn't come with that but I am in the process of upgrading the brakes and suspension with parts from my 9c1 police package parts car, plus AirLift helper springs in the back. It has a trailer hitch that may have said U-Haul before I painted it years ago. It attaches to the frame with two bolts to the bumper mounts and a u- bolt through the frame per side. The hitch itself is very heavy and made of 2"x2" 3/16" wall steel square tubing.

Any guesses as to what would be a safe tow rating for my setup?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"

check for a weight or class rating stamped into the hitch

Reply to
m6onz5a

Get a transmission cooler. The transmission life will be much longer. I would be concerned about the condition of the 16 year old transmission first.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for the reply. The car has a trans cooler in the radiator as well as an oil-to-air cooler in front of the condensor. The 4L60E transmission is definately a weak spot on these cars, but mine has under 90k miles and has been well maintained. A larger trans cooler might still be a good idea though. Speaking of cooling, the tow package replaced the electric fans with an a mechanical fan. I probably won't go that far, but I will eventually replace the 2.93 gears with something lower (the tow package came with 3.42's or so that year).

To the other poster, if there was ever a rating stamped on the hitch it's been wire brushed and painted over once or twice.

Unless I hear otherwise I'll probably go with the 7500 lb number.

Harry

Reply to
"Harry Smith"