ATF

Been trying to fing some ATF type G for the power steering on my 1989 110 but without success. Is it still availble, if not what has it been replaced by?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

looking at the manual you have plenty of options ATF M2C 33 F or G or L ATF Dextron II D,II E or III pretty well everybody stocks something suitable except probably certain french dealerships who seem to like some weird stuff IIRC years ago I used to stock it but never sold any. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Thanks Derek

Thats a much wider list than shown in the hand book I have. Managed to get some Dextron toay.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

You are unique in finding a fluid called Dextron. AFAIK there is no such thing ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:59:42 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

pendant!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin but he is unique in his failure to read the phrase "according to the manual" which does not mention the brand like they say does what it says on the box and to make it even more fun.......................

is of course the specification and not the brand but the bottles I had on the shelf those years ago were Total Dextron and the oddball Total LHM which as far as I know are still sat there waiting for a Citroen (?) to need a top up. Funny though tho thinking back I'm positive the EP90 top up bottles were sqeezy with a pipe attached pity about progress isn't it.Derek

Reply to
Derek

If we can't get it right then we might as well call a 'chair' a 'table' or a 'lorry' or any other randomly selected name, which will quickly lead to the breakdown of civilisation as we know it. This may be lost on Derek though;-(

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Those two links just go to show that you cannot believe everything you read. The second one is inexcusable because an enlarged picture of the bottle shows the mistake clearly. Would anyone seriously buy oil from a company such as that in the first link, which has such an unprofessional and mistake-ridden site? DEXTRON is NOT a specification for any oil.

DEXRON is.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

> Dextron is of course the specification and not the brand but the bottles >> I had on the shelf those years ago were Total Dextron and the oddball >> Total LHM which as far as I know are still sat there waiting for a >> Citroen (?) to need a top up. Funny though tho thinking back I'm positive >> the EP90 top up bottles were sqeezy with a pipe attached pity about >> progress isn't it.>> Derek

Ah my apologies I missed your oblique reference to the ( possible) typo but then so do Texaco/Chevron, Castrol and Amsoil plus a quite a few others perhaps its a 'mercanism or just common usage oddly another option is Mercon Chevron

( Conoco)
popped down to my garage tocheck the gallon can and that is Dexron though.Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Derek" wrote >

It is a common typo for some reason which a psychologist probably has an answer for. It is becoming increasingly common and irritating especially when used by those that should know better. Increased usage will never make it a correct usage because the standard is actually called Dexron and Dextron is quite simply incorrect.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

...and Huw spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Incorrect indeed, but understandable. The sound sequence -xr- is rarely found in English. (I can't think of a single example.) The nearest common sequence is -xtr- (as in "extra", etc.), so a lot of folk will insert the "t" sound as it fits better with familiar sound sequences. The motor trade is not known for its highly-literate and pedantic approach to linguistic issues! :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:34:00 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

LHM (Liquide Hydrolique Minerale) which is green is used in most Citroen systems but some use LHS (Liquide Hydrolique Synthtique) which is red and they shouldn't be mixed or used in the wrong systems. IIRC some Rolls-Royce power braking systems use LHM as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:43:07 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

oooh, miaow... you've never made any such error?

And besides, I for one have only ever seen Dexron II, I don't know if there was a plain Dexron. The alternative used to be the one used in Fords, which used to be called Donax, and isn't any more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Moa? Heheheh. Nefer.

Well yes of course. However, the mistaken use on several oil company web sites is inexcusable. What if their oil was chemically produced in the same slapdash way? It does not inspire much confidence in their product.

I still have a small quantity of Shell Donax in the shed. I have no idea what it was used for. Certainly not for an auto transmission in my case but it could have been for a power steering system. A five gallon drum seems excessive though.

Huw

Reply to
Huw