Trailer to carry Range Rover Classic

Looking to get a trailer to carry my Range Rover Classic. Due to garage size, the biggest I can fit is an Ifor Williams 12/6 flat bed,

3.5 ton, twin axle. Has anyone towed one of these trailers with a Range Rover on board, is the balance ok or was it too nose heavy? TIA Martin
Reply to
Martin Coombs

I towed a 1983 Range Rover from Reading to Ipswich on a 3.5 ton twin axle Ifor Williams, behind a 110. Not sure if it was exactly the same model as the one you are looking at - mine is a beavertail flat bed, just long enough to take a Rangie without it hanging off the back end. Anyway, the trailer coped fine. You have to be careful carrying any Land Rover on one of these trailers. As the bed sits above the wheels, once you put a big tall heavy vehicle on the trailer the centre of gravity ends up very high. This can lead to the nose of the trailer pitching up and down on bumpy roads, especially if the rear suspension of the towing vehicle is a bit worn. It also means that vehicle positioning on the trailer is important - plenty of weight over the towball seems to work fine for me.

If I had the money I'd probably change the Ifor Williams for a low bed car transporter. But I'm happy enough with it for now.

Richard

Reply to
glencoyne

Hi Richard Thanks for the info. I would have liked a low bed, but too wide to get through my garage doors. Looked at the beaver tail 14 foot, but 6 inches too long for the garage. My only choice is the 12 foot flat bed, but balance was my main concern. I suppose I have the option of driving on or reversing on to get the optimium balance. The Rangie is to be bobtailed so rear overhang should be minimal. Tow car will be my 04 Disco TD5.

Thanks

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

On or around Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:15:29 GMT, "Martin Coombs" enlightened us thusly:

remember that you can alter the balance by loading the rangie on the trailer back to front. If you have silly noseweight, this might help.

You're looking for something in the region of 25-50Kg noseweight for most towing vehicles, LRs of all shapes included.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Does anyone actually keep such trailers in a garage?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Some people have to due to no outdoor space and some people want to in order to avoid it being stolen.

Reply to
Marc Draper