V8 head gasket

My 3.9 (1995) Discovery has got lots of steam coming from the exhaust. Is this one of the head gaskets gone? Im losing water, there is a very leak somewhere as I get a little bit of coolant on the drive, but not enough for the amount of water I'm losing. Also the top end rattles a bit, could this be the cam/valve gear. Any advice please. Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:45:30 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

sounds a lot like a head gasket. Cam is the weak spot, that and rocker shaft wear.

If you get the head off, you'll get the chance to look at the cam and see what it looks like. reckon on cam, set of followers, set of rockers and rocker shafts to do a decent job. Minimum is cam and followers - don't put old followers on a new cam, as it'll wear faster.

Reply to
Austin Shackles