Vaguely OT (as usual): Source of fishing net to make a trailer cover

Subject says it all really.

On a recent trip to Ireland I noticed that the chunks of discarded fishing net scattered around the moorings of a trawler berth would have made ideal covers for my trailer - strong, springy net that would pull down tightly on the general garden debris which fills it and would accommodate the variations in volume of chunk in said trailer. This struck me as far better than a canvas or, worse, plastic non-stretch cover. Unfortunately it was a Ryan Air hand baggage only trip and also I was reluctant to pinch any fishing net.

So, any thoughts as to where to find it in Kent? Searching the web brings up all manner of unhelpful responses (naturally).

TIA

Richard

PS you can I'm temporarily confined to home and bored - sorry.

Richard

q1 - whereabouts in Kent richard?

Have you thought about having a wander down to any of the towns which have a fishing fleet and seeing where they get there bits?

Si (Chatham)

Reply to
GrnOval

Camouflage netting is good for that kind of thing too, as long as you don't end up losing the trailer in the garden! Easily available from army surplus stores. If you put it in the loft then you'll find out the answer to the age-old question of "where do the flies go in the winter".

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Mind you, the proper thing's not expensive either;

Cargo Net With Tarp (2.5x3m) Price (ex VAT): 13.99 Price (inc VAT): 16.44

Cargo Net With Tarp (1.2x0.9m) Price (ex VAT): 12.99 Price (inc VAT): 15.26

Ian Rawlings

This

We had a memorably wet holiday in Kirkcudbright one 'summer' when the kids were young, and I spent most of a week in a dripping awning learning to make nets from orange nylon twine. Actually relatively simple when you get the hang of using three fingers to set the hole size.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not bored enough to start my own net-knitting, thank you Andrew!

Just spent a couple of hours ruining what remains of my eyesight re-soldering the data/power connector on my wife's iPAQ. For those that are interested the instructions found here:

actually work, despite being (to me) counterintuitive.

Or, at least it is now reliably recharging. I haven't tried data exchange yet.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Looks interesting

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hello Si

I'm in Sevenoaks. I know that a wander down to Whitstable might turn something up, but I suspect that any remaining Kent fishing fleets will have net that is much lighter than the Irish stuff. It was made from seriously big green cord and had recoil-type characteristics - almost rope really, not the orange string that I think Andrew is referring to.

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard