Why everyone should keep an old LR in the garden!...

...put the van round the back of the house the other day cos it is closer to the workshop when I'm loading/unloading - well, since then it has done nothing but bloody chuck it down (can you see where this is going?!) Need the van out for a 6am start tomorrow so thought I'd do it now, been sunny all day so thought it would be OK - couple of van lengths into the move you can guess what happens - absolutely sunk - right down to the rims, not going anywhere no matter what I do - not helped by the fact that it is FWD and I'm having to reverse it out.

So I hooked up the car with a strop and tried to pull it out - wouldn't even move an inch - called my wife out to help (who doesn't drive manuals, "can't", and hasn't done so in 10+ years) but after a bit of instruction I manage to get her to just ride the clutch at the point before the wheels of the van start to spin, hoping it will help - still going nowhere - car tyres starting to dig in - at which point I remember the waffle boards I bought from Nige a while back (thanks Nige!) but all that did was stall the car as it was just too much for it, and I wasn't too keen on ripping my tyres to pieces on the boards by giving it too much boot!

Right, time to break out the SIII I thought, but that is hiding around the back of the house too - the van is far enough out of the way to get it out, but the motorhome is parked right across the front of the SIII - tho somehow I manage to move the motorhome just enough without getting it stuck to free the SIII (front end is now in the trees and back end is in the hedge!) - jump in the SIII - the battery is dead! (because of Christmas I haven't run her up in a while) Motorhome is close by, so with the help of two sets of jump leads joined together I get a jump start on the SIII, pull the SIII out only to realise the trailer is now in the way, which is full of bags of rubble that I've left in there waiting to go to the tip - struggle to drag it out of the way, and get the SIII in position - set her up on 4WD, back wheels onto the waffle boards and give it a go - just manages to get the van moving, so shout the wife out again (who has gone inside because it is "too bloody cold") and together over the course of 20mins we finally get the van unstuck.

I've now got a 25m, rim deep set of parallel marks through the garden - ground was so soft that I literally had to drag it out with the SIII until we got to the firmer ground.

Without the SIII I'd have been totally screwed - absolutely no way was the van going anywhere. Gave her a good run out down the road as a treat, and then drove it through the garden where the van had just been stuck and parked back in her spot round the back - didn't even break into a sweat. Bloody marvelous! Best 800 euros spent yet!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Well, today I went out for a tootle in the Defender to keep it all oily inside, and it was raining hard. I came back and shuffled about the house for a few hours and then went to go back out in it again to pick up a piece of computer gadgetry. I remembered that it was running on empty so decided to take the Audi A4, halfway to collecting the keys I changed my mind as I thought I might as well fill the Defender tank anyway.

On leaving the fuel station forecourt it started snowing so hard I had the wipers on top speed, and my route took me through lots of tiny lanes and occasional A roads, many of which were badly flooded. On one I had the wipers on normal speed, hit the water and turned a corner, wasn't able to see the road surface due to water on the windscreen, then whacked the wipers on high and saw that the whole road for the next 100 metres or so was submerged in about a foot and a half of water.

Got to the other side without event and told a few hesitant cars not to bother, and led some worried old lady to where she was trying to get to. She said she wished she had a nice big landrover, certainly came in useful today! While the pinz can handle the wet, it's much harder to see out of in such conditions so glad I didn't choose that, and the Audi would have had to turn back on a few occasions.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Great fun!

You're around Bristol aren't you Ian? I'm heading off that way on Sunday - hope it isn't too bad by then as I'm heading back in the car.

Looks like I'll be in for an interesting ferry crossing judging by the forecast - 28mph in Portsmouth on Sunday & 24 Monday - least I should be in France back before the 35 forecast on Tuesday!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

I'm about an hour and a half south of Bristol, and the roads should be nice and icy by the time you get here so chuck a few bags of grit in the boot! Right now all is peaceful, no rain or snow, just the usual wind..

Lots of farmland around here, making for some interesting colours and smells of the farmland runoff that was cascading down some roads, didn't fancy getting any of that on me! Surprised my tyres didn't melt.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings