wiring diagram for Disco radio.

I have been given (legitimately I should add, by a friend who has installed a fancy CD changer thingy to replace it) a radio from a 1993 Discovery which I intend to replace the tired old unit in my defender. The part number is PRC9463LNF, mode number PU9649B. Made by Clarion I think, flashy black RDS thingy.

Obviously, this is going to be a chocolate block wiring job, so can anyone provide me with a decode of the wiring block for this. The old connector from the Disco is still attached so I can decode from that if anyone has Disco wiring diagrams. It's a five pin (I think) connector with round holes.

It seems to have too many speaker connections, I guess the Disco has lots of speakers, so any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie, I have not got a diagram, but this might help !

As an example, try Halfords and they have packs with adapters from one type of radio to the car wiring, saves messing with pinouts !

Steve

Reply to
RADIOTWO

On or around Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:00:44 +0100, "RADIOTWO" enlightened us thusly:

what age disco? they're different. and is it 4-speaker, 2-speaker, or wot?

the "one stereo on the wiring of another" trick isn't especially helpful, unless you can get the right adapter.

HBoL has the3 various ICE wiring setups in it though, if you don't have one I could look it up.

I have the following:

Audio system, Pre-93MY, 4-speaker with remote controls Audio system, post-93MY, 2-speaker Audio system with subwoofer, 4-speaker with remote controls Audio system with subwoofer, CD player and remote power amp, 4-speaker and remote conrols.

also have for 95-on:

Typical radio/casette installation (which looks much like the 3rd one above)

on a related note, anyone know which way the wires on a 91-vinatge disco travel to get to the rear speakers?

one of my rear speakers maintains a tight-lipped silence, and I rather fear that it's not the speaker itself which is at fault. I will try swapping the speakers over to see if the fault changes sides, but attaching the wires tmperarily to another speaker produced no noticable result, this might mean that the other speaker I tried is dead, though, since it was just lying around in the shed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's a 93, pre MY. There are shed loads of speaker connections which isn't very helpful. The original owner believes it had four speaks plus subs, or maybe two plus subs. I don't think it has remote controls, but I could be wrong. Even if it does I'm not going to be interested in wiring them.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but I'm note evn sure what the 'HBoL' is, let alone have one.

If you could email me scans or descriptions of any wiring setups it would be a help, I've started to figure a few bits out with a multimeter and a bit of patience, so any clues would be of some help. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Reply to
urchaidh

in article caughc$ snipped-for-privacy@odbk17.prod.google.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 18/6/04 11:35 am:

Just had a look to see what we've got.part no PRC 6499 Model PU-9386A. Ours has four speakers in the front doors and did have two in the rear, until one of the kids pulled the covers off and poked the cones. It also has a remote switch near the steering wheel.

HBoL is the name given to the Haynes manual, otherwise known as the Haynes Book of Lies.

If I can locate the Workshop manual, I'll scan what I can find. Its gone missing at present.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

On or around 18 Jun 2004 03:35:24 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" enlightened us thusly:

if it's 4-speaker, it has speakers in the panels either side of the back door.

The remote controls are on the dashboard either side of the dash panel.

Haynes Book of Lies...:-)

I think the colours are apt to be pretty standard. colours are as follows:

B = black, G = green, K = pink, L = light, N = brown, O = orange, P = purple, R = red, S = grey, U = blue, W = white, Y = yellow.

we have the following colours, (second colour is tracer): basic systems:

ignition switched supply..... W/O permanent supply............. P/W ground....................... B supply from panel lights..... R/B LH rear speaker.............. B/Y and B/O LH front speaker............. B/K and B/R RH front speaker............. B/W and B/N RH rear speaker.............. B/G and B/U remote controls have a common B Volume up.................... N/Y volume down.................. U seek......................... U/G band select.................. R/G

the subwoofer ones also have: screened cable to subwoofer ignition switched supply..... W/O wire to unit ................ U/Y subwoofer ground............. B

power amp ones have the above (subwoofer) and more complex remote contorls, and the power amp:

screened cable from head unit to power amp screened cable from power amp to subwoofer ignition switched supply..... W/O connection to the U/Y above.. U/Y and speaker colours as above.

be worth buying the book if it's your vehicle, although we take the piss out of Haynes, there is a fair amount of useful info in there.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:18:34 +0100, Nikki Cluley enlightened us thusly:

I haven't actually looked in the real manual yet. I suspect it has the same info, from looking at it before.

Reply to
Austin Shackles