wrong results...

Had the disco sliding backwards down a slipperier-than-expected slope today after a failed ascent. I'm guessing that once all 4 wheels are locked, it thinks it's staionary. Probably the correct course of action is to come off the brakes and re-apply, but that takes some nerve...

Assuming that the ABS works in reverse. Does anyone know if ABS/HDC work in reverse?

In this case, there wasn't any real risk, as the slope is only short and levels out a bit lower down, and once it stopped sliding engaging low reverse allowed of a dignified recovery. Didn't stop the momentary feeling of "oh f*ck" though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

got all the buttons off the seat did you?

Reply to
GbH

Manual ot auto?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Nerve and enough time to work out what is happening, work out that you have your foot on the brake and that taking it off is a good probably a good idea. An awful lot of driving is "instinctive" and anticipation, when things start to happen that you don't really expect you have bugger all time before to think it through properly.

Donno not tried it, with the crap tyres I have at the moment I might try and find a bit of mud to try it. TBH I find HDC a little quick, it's quite effective but if you do hit something you are going to bend things rather than just crumple the bumper. Same applies to the TC it works, sometimes(*), but you have you have to feed it power.

(*) It wouldn't get me up a slight hill covered with 4" of snow but again it can't compenstate for tyres with sod all grip on snow or mud.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

I know your recent experience is a little more dramatic, but I was chased across Asda car park by a trolley at the w/e.

I was in the wife's relatively tidy people carrier. It was very blowy and the wretched thing took off like a kite from about 30 feet away. Us being parked slightly downhill of it didn't help either as it gathered speed very rapidly.

The car park was almost empty, but not empty enough. I couldn't swerve out of its path because of parked cars in exactly the wrong places (the trolley got too close too quickly for complex manoeuvrings). In the end the best I could manage was having it glance off the front nearside bumper - at least it missed the panels.

It must have looked really silly though.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Well it made me chuckle.. hope there wasn't too much damage... which canal did you then lob it in?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:00:34 -0000, "Muddymike" enlightened us thusly:

manual.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Correct process for this kind of failed hill climb is to engage reverse gear, come off the brakes altogether and use the engine braking effect to slow your reverse descent. HDC does work in reverse so if you are still in high range then yes definitely hit the yellow button.

Reply to
Andy

BTDT!

Reply to
Nige

Yep, me too!

It's one thing knowing the theory and quite another putting it into practice :-)

Reply to
Andy

In article , Lee_D writes

Oh 'twas tempting. The silliest bit, of course, I forgot to mention: my failed getaway was entirely in reverse, which is why it must have looked really silly!

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In message , Andy writes

Almost correct Without ABS or HDC if you are sliding (tobogganing) then apply a bit of accelerator until traction is regained then come of the throttle and let engine braking take over.

If anyone finds it unnerving or difficult I would recommend getting out and practising in a safe place until it becomes second nature.

Someone mentioned autos - one of which I have. Personally I've always found engine braking to be non-existent in reverse on a failed hill climb so a combination of throttle and brake is required and rive back down the hill. Exactly the same as going forwards but in reverse. (I don't have abs or HDC)

Reply to
hugh

I think the reason it was sliding in this case was due to the brakes being fully applied but yes accelerating gently will regain grip.

Reply to
Andy

er, have I got "high range" and "low range" arse about face in my mind?

HDC only works with the transfer box in the L (low, lots of revs no speed) position. In H all you'll get is some bongs until you unpress the yellow button.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bollocks it does. My RR works up down high or low. Been there tried it. It is way too fast, but bloody fantastic in snow if you really want to stop down hill & not just hit the brakes.

Reply to
Nige

But we are talking about Austin's DII not a RR.

I agree with that, panel not just a fender bender if you do hit something.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:24:18 -0000, "Andy" enlightened us thusly:

you mean low range...

and I already knew the correct procedure, I did that when it stopped sliding. Real answer is that a) the terrain was unexpectedly slippery (been up this particular bank several times before) and b) the tyres are not really up to it. I'll be reveiwing the tyre choice later in the year. It's got half-worn Goodyear AT/R on the back and new Toyo mostly-road ones on the front. The latter were recommended by a tyre bloke as being similar to the Goodyear Eagle GT+4 which is no longer available - and I can;t argue too much about it, 'cos I got 2 for the price of one plus one GT+4 which I couldn't match to make a pair, which the tyre-bloke took as a swap.

I daresay that was some kind of minor rip-off.

Mind, I don't intend serious off-roading in this motor anyway, but it needs to be able to pull itself out of mud at the side of the road etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:43:04 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

Disco II the HDC only works in low box, he's right. press it in high and it goes bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong-bong til you get bored.

tried it forwards on the same bit of bank, it's a tad faster than I'd really like, but not bad. On smooth stuff (e.g. tarmac) and in 5th L it'll let it go up to about 10 mph.

interesting point about using it in 1L though, does it take the gear into account in judging speed? 1L foot off wouldn't do 10 mph on any credible slope, if there was enough grip.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Aye, then it cust in a drops you down to about 5, but not overly gently.

You have to find a hill that is steep enough for it to run away in 1L feet off first. The steepest round here (two chevrons on an OS map) aren't, so you are looking at steeper than 1:5. IIRC on that hill it will just run away in 2L and playing between that and 3L on the same hill produces pretty much the the same rate of decent. This on tarmac.

I'd like to know how it deals with nice slippy mud or wet grass but need a steep hill covered with said surface and plenty of space to slide about/down and stop without danger of hitting anything.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They should realy be the other war round for road safety. Best tyres on the back.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike