1999 Lexus LS 400 - accident question - Lexus damage.jpg (0/1)

I have an open ended question for the group.

My Lexus that was hit this past Sunday night while parked. She is a

1999 LS 400 w/ 106,000, perfect condition, inside and out.

As you can see the 1970 Monte Carlo (tank) that hit it pushed it against the curb very hard.

The axle (suspension) on the passenger side was bend severly also.

What mechanical issues should I look for as the repairs are being performed?

As a note Pohanka Collission (Chantilly office) is handling the repairs... Any comments on them - good bad.

Supposedly they are goin to use OE parts.

My concern is Diminshed Value of the car? This was owned by my father-in-law who took it in for EVERY service that the manual recommended - with the Technician stamping the book. He bought the

2008 LS 460, and sold me this one...

This model year does use a Unibody frame? What should I look for, ask for in terms of Certified Frame Technician, frame report, etc?

So I naturally have babbied this car - my best ever.... I usually never park her on the street, but I had run an errand and it being Sunday evening, was playing with my 3 year old.

I appreciate everyone reaeding this long post, I am just trying to make sure I don't miss anything as I want to drive her for at least 5 more years..

But I also want to make sure that if I take possession of the car from the collission center what I need to watch out for, mechanically and body - and frame wise...

Thank you, Darren

Reply to
Lexus Lover

Have the vehicle put on an frame alignment machine to check frame alignment.

Yes, all Lexus passenger cars use a unibody construction. I doubt if there is anything you would be able to spot that is correct or not, so that is why I recommended that the vehicle be put on a frame machine to have its alignment checked.

Take it to a body shop that is recommended by your local Lexus dealer.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Thanks for the follow-up. I am using Pohanka Lexus collission center. So that should not be a problem. I am assuming it will be put on a frame machine.

What I am wondering is what I should look for in terms of documentation from the tem on the frame inspection (subsequent frame reapairs, etc.), also is their a ceritifaction I should look for from a frame tech.? etc. ??JFIF

Oh and what concerns should I have with my lexus like window leaks, doors not closing properly, body parts not aligned, etc???

Thanks, Darren

Reply to
Lexus Lover

Darren,

Most likely, the only documentation you would get from the frame inspection and any corrections made to the frame would be something to the effect of "frame out of alignment - corrected." The shop may give some measurements before and after the measurement and corrections, if any, are made.

If the car is put on a frame machine and the frame is straight, you should not have any frame-related problems like door and body part alignment, leaks, etc.

The thing that is most obvious after most body repairs is mis-matched paint. Hopefully, if paintwork is involved, the shop will scan the paint and use a computer to match the paint.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the follow-up Ray.

Hopefully the collision center; which is a division of the dealership where this car was purchased in 1999 can match the paint.

The other issue that has come up is they are replacing the control arm of the passenger side rear area where it was pushed into the curb. But I could visibly see that the CV joint was bent. And they had not indicated it would be fixed, until I insisted it be replaced.

Do you have or know where I can get a picture that breaks out the parts in the rear axle area, so as to be certain that I identify all of the possible parts that could be damaged because of this?

Darren

Reply to
Lexus Lover

The only place with illustrations that break out the parts in any particular area are repair manuals (the factory manual shows the most detail) and part catalogs.

Reply to
Ray O

Darren,

I sympathize with your plight, as I do love my 1995 GS 300 that I have had for 10 years now as well.

Just wanted to mention, before any of us forget, that that "playing with your 3 year old, is what matters. The car is just that, a car, a mechanical thing, albeit a very nice one:-) But our loved ones should always have top place among our thoughts!

AH well, guess I am just being sentimental for once.

Cheers,

Patrick

Reply to
Jan van Dam

Professional Estimating Service (251 660-8894) does diminished value.

Reply to
satmech