1999 RX-300 Antenna

Hello,

This is the second time I am going to replace antenna in my RX300, first one broke, replacement worked for awhile and the string broke again, Is there anyway I can make it not to go up and down with Radio ON/OFF, just stay up.

Abid

Reply to
Abid Khan

- Sorry to hear about that, as I went through a replacement also. If you get the antenna into the upward position, then disconnecting the power to the up/down motor would allow it to stay up. That assumes that the threaded nylon mechanism is somewhat intact to hold it in place.

If you haven't personally worked on the antenna mechanism, there are online instructions on how to access the antenna drive motor. With an empty trunk, and good instructions, the job might be done in 15 minutes.

Reply to
Wayne

You can disconnect the power as Wayne suggested, or install a flexible antenna instead of a mast antenna. I'm pretty sure that the RX has a diversity antenna system with an antenna embedded in one of the windows in addition to the mast antenna, so even a stubby antenna should provide decent reception.

Reply to
Ray O

Not to hijack the thread, but do you know what the antenna in the glass is for? When I bought my 99RX, I was told that it was for a console mounted cellfone (remember this was 11 years ago). Later, I was told that it was for FM radio, and the whip for AM. And finally, a tech claiming 20 years of experience said that there was no window antenna....it was just some wire connected to nothing.

The question has been "overcome by events" since I sold the 99 RX and bought a new one. However, it is unusual to get such conflicting answers out of "professionals".

--Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

The antenna embedded in the glass on some Toyotas and Lexus models is part of the diversity antenna system. In sedans, the antenna is usually above the rear defogger grid, and in SUV's and wagons, it is often in the right rear window between the C and D pillar.

Audio systems with the diversity antenna system monitor the signal quality between the antenna embedded in the glass and the mast and use the input with the best signal quality. The radio will have 2 coaxial antenna cables plugged in the back.

Some models offer different radios, some with and some without the diversity antenna system, and radios without the diversity antenna system will only have 1 coaxial cable plugged in the back.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks

-Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Thanks Ray and Wayne,

I already have new mast antenna so I will go with that, Wayne you are right 15 minutes, since this is my second time, I will install and get it all the way up and disconnect motor power to see if it stay up. Thanks

Abid

FWIW, my '93 GS300 with 105,000 miles just had to have the power antenna replaced. As the car is in great condition, I opted to spend the money (replaced it myself).

Rich

Reply to
<z