1999 RX-300 Antenna Mast

My Antenna Mast broke last week, I got the new one and try to instal it yesterday, I was able to remove the nut and as I try to insert the plastic tube in and turn the rqdio on/off it won't catch it, I can hear motor moving, I am guessing that the a piece of old plastic tube might have left in there, any ideas how to remove it, I hope I don;t have to remove the motor...

Abid

Reply to
Abid Khan

Is any piece of the original nylon insert from the inside of the mast sticking out? If so, pull on the nylon piece while turning the radio on so that all of the remaining nylon comes out. Then feed the new piece in the mast hole and turn the radio off.

Reply to
Ray O

- I had the same problem. Just bite the bullet and take the motor out....it really isn't that difficult, and mostly involves removing plastic pop out rivet kind of thingys. Disassemble the motor and take out all the pieces of the old plastic rod. Assemble and mount the motor, and test it before putting all the paneling back in place. Good luck. Oh...I think there may be videos on youtube on the subject....or google for instructions.

I think my disassembly was about 30 minutes. The local lexus folks wanted a cubic crapload of money to do the job.

Reply to
Wayne

This is what I am planning to do soon, Ray I don't see any piece of plastic coming out, it is probably right at the insert point which I can't see.

Abid

********** If the nylon drive cable broke inside the drum, then you probably have to take it apart to get the old pieces out, as Wayne mentioned. Once you get the motor/mast assembly removed, removal of the drum cover should be obvious.
Reply to
Ray O

Yep, I am planning to take a part in few days.

************

- IIRC, I set aside an afternoon to do the work, and completed it within 2-3 hours. I first tried a simple replacement, and noticed that the new antenna had a longer nylon strip than the old one. Thus, part of the nylon strip had separated from the old antenna and remained inside the motor.

With Google, you can find instructions, and a quick look turned up the following link:

Just print out that set of instructions and have it while you do the work. Good luck.

Reply to
Wayne

I was able to finish the job Friday afternoon, the instruction above really very helpful, I ran in to couple of issues but all in all it wasn't that hard.

Now I see another issue, nothing to do with the antenna, the bulb out msg light comes on, as soon as I press the brake, so I though one of the break light is out, but I checked 2/3 times have my wife check it for me, but both sides light comes ON as normal when we push the brakes, but the little indicator light still comes on telling us one of the bulb is out. Any ideas....

****************

- Don't know anything about the brake light problem.

However, I'm glad you were able to save big buck$ on the antenna fix.

Reply to
Wayne

I was able to finish the job Friday afternoon, the instruction above really very helpful, I ran in to couple of issues but all in all it wasn't that hard.

Now I see another issue, nothing to do with the antenna, the bulb out msg light comes on, as soon as I press the brake, so I though one of the break light is out, but I checked 2/3 times have my wife check it for me, but both sides light comes ON as normal when we push the brakes, but the little indicator light still comes on telling us one of the bulb is out. Any ideas....

****** Abid, Check the Center High Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL). If both the left and right brake lights are working, then check to see if one or more bulbs on the CHMSL is out. The CHMSL is the light mounted at the top of the rear hatch.
Reply to
Ray O

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that light, I will check it later today. thanks

********** You're welcome!
Reply to
Ray O

That was it, replace the bulb and all is good, thank you!

******** You're welcome!
Reply to
Ray O