2002 ES300 - DVD Navigation system disk

It is my understanding that these are updated and released each year. Last year my wife ask the dealership about getting an updated disk and asked about cost. I think it was around $300 for a new disk. And the dealer told her that there weren't really any big updates on it.

Well, it's now 2004 and there have been several road changes in our area, not to mention that our own neighborhood is not known by the Nav system. So I ask, is there another source for an updated disk besides the dealer? any ideas how you find out what's been updated on each year's release?

Thanks.

Reply to
Road Rage

If there were particular areas I was concerned about, I wouldn't hesitate to ask the dealer to show me that it's on the new DVD. Surely they have a new DVD in one of the cars on the lot or the loaner cars... (and if they don't, why don't they?)

Kathy A.

Reply to
Kathy Applebaum

Agreed, I would ask to see the new DVD map. Several road changes in my area (Los Angeles) happened 2 years ago and were still not updated in this past fall's release.

Reply to
jt

I had the same question for my 2002 ES300 and the dealder couldn't tell me (this was in Feb 2004).

However, we took a new RX330 w/ Nav for a test drive and noticed that even the new updated disk did not have the new roads around our area (we're in south NJ).

So we're saving ~$430 (disk + installation labor) by not upgrading :-)

JK

"Road Rage" wrote in news:qOXOb.15455$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
J.K.

In article , _nospammers snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... |I had the same question for my 2002 ES300 and the dealder couldn't tell me |(this was in Feb 2004). | |However, we took a new RX330 w/ Nav for a test drive and noticed that even |the new updated disk did not have the new roads around our area (we're in |south NJ). | |So we're saving ~$430 (disk + installation labor) by not upgrading :-) | |JK

It won't change your mind about buying this particular update but in the future you should consider buying the update DVD and "install" it yourself. I was amazed that the dealer (Lexus of Riverside) wanted to charge me $90 to install the update in my car. This was while the car was in for regular service so it wasn't a big burden for them to add this to the work they were doing. I just bought the DVD and did the install myself.

To install the DVD, just do the following:

  1. Open your trunk.
  2. Pull the plastic cover off the navigation unit.
  3. Press a button on the unit.
  4. Take out the old DVD.
  5. Insert the new DVD.
  6. Put the plastic cover back on the navigation unit.
  7. Close the trunk.

That is all there is to it. I did it in less than five minutes and that included searching the manual for directions (which could not be found). I did this in the customer pickup area before driving off from the dealer when I picked up the car. I just did what seemed logical. How can it take a factory trained service person so much time that they must charge $90 for this????

Needless to say, I will never go to this particular dealer again.

Reply to
Lew Edinburg