2002 L-200 Transmission Woes

Well, here we go again...

About 18 months ago, the vehicle started to exhibit signs of some type of transmission problem (automatic). Engine RPM would jump and fall about

400RPM while driving down the road (level road) at five second intervals. No codes set in the computer and no warning lights showing. Mileage was 42,000 and we had purchased the extended vehicle warranty package.

Brought to our Saturn dealer who told us that the tires were out of balance. Paid for a tire rotation and rebalance of all tires and went on our way -- didn't fix the problem. Returned to dealership who kept the vehicle a day, and returned it with no work done; telling us the streets we drove on were causing it.

Finally contacted Saturn Customer Service who directed us to go to dealership again. The mechanic put some test equipment on the car and we went for a ride. Found the torque converter was not locking up properly. Three days in the shop for repairs, but seemed to be OK. Work performed under the warranty package.

Fast forward to current times - the vehicle is now at 59,750 and starting to exhibit the same symptoms as before. Returned to dealership and rode with mechanic WHO VERIFIED problem. Left vehicle for three days and returned to find that Service Manager felt the problem was with the tires. Disagreed with him, but at his insistance brought new set of tires ($375.00).

Told him that if problem wasn't fixed, then I'd be back, that he would reimburse me for the tires, and they would then fix it properly. Vehicle continues to act up, the transmission now hangs in second range until engine speed reaches nearly warning mark before shifting into fourth. My appointment is on the 29th.

Mileage is now at 61,000+ and I will probably have to get Saturn Customer Service involved again. Fortunately, I contacted them and opened a complaint file before vehicle exceeded the 60,000 mile warranty limit - a fact that I have not divulged to the dealership. Will keep everyone informed

Reply to
OceanArcher

Definately sounds like one of the electronic modules related to the Tranny (ex: torque converter, or?) acting up again. Tires will never cause RPMs to fluctuate, that is just plain bulls*it they are feeding you. However, the L-series was a known tire-eater due to a known Recall Issue which can be fixed by having the front end shimmed and any faulty front end parts replaced. Ask if the recall has been done and if not demand that it get done at no cost to you, else call Saturn CS and they will resolve it.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

60k miles was probably close to the tires end but yeah there is no way this would cause his problems. The issue is likely sensor/computer related. Contacting CS prior to 60k was a smart move.

(sorry to hear about your job marx)

Its skipping 3rd? My bonneville will run up to 90mph before it needs shifted into 3rd. If this is the case it may be possible that your 2-3 shift solenoid is faulty. I wonder if they have any actual transmission savy techs at this place... Look on the wall and see if you see any ASE A2 - Automatic Transmission/Transaxle techs.

Reply to
BläBlä

Well, the score is Lions 2, Christians 0 --- Upon arrival at the dealership I got with the Service Technician. Yes, he is certified through the ASE program (certificate on the wall, updated just last year). WE took a ride to get a baseline feel of the vehicle, and then switched to another vehicle (an L-300 of the same year) to compare. Unfortunately, the dammed problem failed to exhibit its presence, so he was forced to marked the paperwork "unable to duplicate reported problem" and I'm marked as an hysterical old man who's a pain in the a**.

Through discussion, I did find out that there is a Service Bulletin (not a recall notice) out there that is applicable to my vehicle, and it addresses rear end caster/camber alignment and adjustment modifications to prevent the "cupping" of the tires the Service Manager originally addressed as the possible source of the problem. Since it is not a recall, they would be totally willing to perform this modification for approximately $650 (which is not a warranty covered item). By the way, I agree totally that a defective tire (or tires) will not cause the engine RPM to jump and drop at four second intervals.

I do plan on contacting Springhill today, to check further about the Service Bulletin (which was issued back in late 2003 -- why wasn't I notified back then of the issue?), and see if Springhill wants to cover a portion of the cost; I'll buy the parts, and they can eat the install costs. Probably won't go for it, but if I don't ask I won't know. Irritating side issue - my dealership is about 65 miles away, so I end up killing a couple of hours and a third of a tank of gas everytime I go to them for service (got enough problems without letting some untrained fool under the hood).

This issue has not been resolved in my mind, so I will be posting updates here on the board ...

Reply to
Ocean Archer

When Saturn first came out, they took a lot better care of customers, now they are more just plain GM BS than Saturn anymore as though it is supposed to be its own division, GM has tightened the leash on it a lot in resent years.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Right now I bet that manual transmissions are looking pretty good to you.

Calculate the amount of money you would have saved by not buying an (optional?) automatic transmission, or the optional extended warranty, or the unneeded tires, and add the cost of the extra gas you have burned and the reduced performance due to the auto trans. Add the estimated reduction in the value of your used car that is equipped with a transmission that no knowledgeable purchaser of used vehicles will even consider. Add the cost of the interest that you paid or did not earn on the higher cost you have paid.

I do not mean to suggest that you beat yourself up with this but you may want to keep these thoughts in mind as you are probably also thinking that this may be a good time to dump the problems and look for a different vehicle. I would also draw your attention to the high percentage of posts in this group regarding automatic transmission problems.

I do think you may be advised to re-evaluate just who are the untrained fools.

Just my .02, Good luck YMMV

Reply to
Private

I'm at 98,000 (ish) and I bought the L200 used at about 80,000 miles almost a year ago. I've driven the absolute hell out of my little EcoTech and I've been utterly satisfied with its 'get-up-and-go'. Granted its no Saab 93t but it gets me where I want(ed) to go. The past tense addition on the last sentence is due to an unfortunate incident :

I "accidentally" went off roading - or RAN off the road a few weeks ago. I snapped the back right tire off and shattered the (what I guess is) the A-frame and rear strut. I also have done some kind of damage to the passenger-front tire and drive-assembly (strut, I'd venture to guess). I also put a hole in the tranny pan (already replaced).

The car (after a $200 tow) starts and runs fine. I've taken my 2.2 sweety up to 90 MPH and gunned the transmission like some street punk in The Fast and the Furious. A few hours after taking her out, now on a near empty tank - I start to get a few noticable tranny issues :

1) From a 4- or 500 RPM idle, if I go full throttle I get a HIGH rev and some pretty sweety (but worrying) tire squeal. Yes, I'm on brand new Pirellis. And yes, the squeal is coming from the damaged right side of the car. Stop driving? Nah, I think I'll go a little farther.

2) Now, from a dead stop or very low RPMs, regardless of how fast I accelerate, I get a light but definite grinding noise at about 2,600 RPMs. It's right after I press the pedal in 1st and a few moments before the 1-2 shift.

Other than those two (what should be scary) issues, I'm shifting VERY well, but maybe getting a little too high at the 2-3 shift at full throttle (seems like about 6,100 RPMs). My problem isn't too bad just yet, but I'm 'fiddin' to take her out again and see what happens.

If I'd guess, I might tend to agree with previous posters - a control module or 'misc' tranny ECU could be to blame. But I'd bet its a hardware issue. For my issue, I was thinking a worn set of gears... But I'm not smart enough to really know. My father-in-law and I are going to drag the 2.2 out and stick in a crate 2.2 with the manual trans (I hope).

As for you, insist that your problem is more than tires or a simple adjustment, because I've been under the hood and in the driveline of my L200 and my issue (similar or not) is NOT a simple fix. So get your baby fixed, the L200 is NOT that bad of a vehicle.

Reply to
Bulldog06

[...]

If I'd guess, I might tend to agree with previous posters - a control module or 'misc' tranny ECU could be to blame. But I'd bet its a hardware issue. For my issue, I was thinking a worn set of gears... But I'm not smart enough to really know. My friend and I are going to drag the 2.2 out and stick in a crate 2.2 with the manual trans (I hope).

As for you, insist that your problem is more than tires or a simple adjustment, because I've been under the hood and in the driveline of my L200 and my issue (similar or not) is NOT a simple fix. So get your baby fixed, the L200 is NOT that bad of a vehicle.

Reply to
Bulldog06

I had that Service Bulletin work done for free on my 2001 L300 and they also reimbursed me for the ruined tires (had to provide receipt). I was told it was a "Secret Warranty", that is "only the squeaky wheels got the grease!"

Reply to
<rtx11