3 Problems with IS 300 - normal?

Background - 2002 IS 300, about 20k miles, Silver.

I noticed 3 things, and am not sure what to do about it, some of these might seem "simple" but this is the first "real" car I've owned. Previously I had an old beat up used Corrolla, so I didnt need to take care of it much.

  1. When I switch gears (into Drive or Reverse) I notice sometimes there is a "clang" like 2 pieces of metal banging into each other. It sounds like it is coming from under the car. It is not a small noise either. Could something to falling apart?

  1. I noticed that underneath the doors along the side of the car (right above the bottom of the car, both sides) the paint seems to be "bubbling". Its basically the whole side right underneath the panel of the door. Its a slight bubbling...could the whole side is rusted underneath the paint? The car is from California, and I live in the east coast, so it has been driven through the snow once already. Could it be that California does not put "protection" on the paint, so the snow/salt/etc of the winter is messing up the paint?

  2. From driving on the highways, I notice small scratchs on the front bumper and on the side of the car (on 2 spots) there are little scratches. They are small, but the paint looks like it is gone, it is white now. I heard I should put some clear nail polish on it to prevent rusting?

Thanks

Reply to
tforms1

If it sounds like a "clunk" from the front of the car, esp the right front, it's probably the anti-lock brake sensor. that's normal.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

The ABS system on my '02 IS300 produces the exact same sound. It's definitely considered to be normal on these cars--although it does raise some concern for most owners when they first notice it. I don't particularly care for the noise myself, but the car is so unbelievably reliable that I just ignore it. If that's the worst thing that I have to deal with then I will remain a satisfied Lexus owner. 28,000 miles on mine now and I am still extremely pleased with the car.

Since your car is still under warranty you can always take it into a Lexus dealership and have them check it out to give you a peace of mind. But I believe that Mark's assessment is correct based upon your description of the noise you're hearing that has proven to be reproducible.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

That bubbly texture on the rocker panels is normal. There's a chip resistant, "rubberized" layer applied over the paint to reduce chipping and damage caused by the tires throwing rocks and stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Body Work?? Sectioning??

Reply to