4 Mufflers on a GS300? Are they needed?

I looked underneath my GS300 today when it was on the lift. The exhaust goes from a single pipe with a catalytic conv. then splits off into two sections with 2 mufflers on each side. Are they really necessary? It almost seems like Toyota was trying to reduce power or sound by putting an extra set on. Has anybody experimented with taking off a set? What are your thoughts?

Reply to
Max

You get a quiet car by large muffler volumes. Lexus sells quiet cars. So they're "necessary" to produce a car that meets Lexus' standards for quietness. They certainly didn't put them on there just to add weight and cost.

There are lots of aftermarket systems if you want a car that makes more noise and sounds more aggressive. I don't think you want to just hack up the stock system, at least, I wouldn't do this if you had any thoughts about resale value of the car.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Is there a chance that taking off a pair will improve MPG or HP?

Reply to
Max

Doubtful. And you just going to saw them off? You've got to put something back there, even if its a straight pipe.

If you want to make mods, I'd look to an aftermarket system. This isn't an

84 Ford Granada.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

It would not help much since the real exhaust bottle neck is the converter with one pipe in and one pipe out.

What would be nice is tube headers, no converter, and side pipes with straight through glass packs. Re-calibrate the engine management system for less back preasure.... probably 25-40 HP :) Would sound a little louder maybe, about like a 327 StingRay with side pipes.

Reply to
TANKIE