2000 Maxima with a Code 430

Brought my 2000 Max with just over 90,000 miles in today with the Service Engine Light My receipt says PO430 Mechanic says all 4 O2 sensors have to be changed and then there was a 95% chance the light will go off. Over $950 before tax. Told him no. Will go to Nissan. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David Schwartz

I had same code on my 2000 SE, curiously after changing from 92 octane to 89 octane. Stayed on for some time, scan tool verified that that O2 sensor was not moving. I ignored it for some time, light went off.

I do agree that if one O2 sensor is bad, then at least all sensors in the same position (up or downstream) should be replaced. Replacing all of them would be best, along with the plugs (maybe a little early, but who cares?). Anything less (just replacing the bad one) is taking the cheap way out.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike

David:

David Schwartz wrote:

Recently I had the exhaust piping, cat, silencer, and muffler replaced on my '97 Max. I had a larger diameter single pipe system with a performance muffler installed. There is more power and a nice quiet purring sound.

For more than one year the engine light was on. Every shop wanted to replace the O2, mass and knock sensors. The surprise was that after the exhaust work had been completed the engine light was off.

The simple matter of a new cat unit, cleaning the existing sensor electrical contacts and re-attaching them with good connections worked. The new larger diameter free-flow cat unit was part of the upgrade, however, I wonder. Was the cat unit replacement necessary to get the engine light to be off?

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

Take it to the dealer for analysis. Too many folks want to replace the O2 sensor because it's 'an O2 sensor code' Many times the code means the O2 sensor is not reading what it should. In most cases I ran into, a new cat converter fixed the problem (O2 sensor was fine, but the readings were screwed up because of the cat failing...)

Cold mean a lot of things, an injector stuck open could cause an O2 sensor error (and cat failure probably).

Reply to
Gary