Factory Stuff Used To Prevent Acid Rain On Dealer Lots

What is the stuff sprayed on Honda's and other vehicles at the factory that prevents acid rain spotting on the dealer lots, before the vehicle is sold? It's sort of like plastic as it peels off (like "Colorforms") but it appears to be sprayed on at the factory. It is commercially available to retail customers like me? And is it expensive? I'd love to have some of that to put permanently on the roof of my SUV and to put on the hood during tree-sap season (we park under pine trees).

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:54:05 -0400, "D.D. Palmer" graced this newsgroup with:

is this what you're looking for?

bounce

Nope, that's a permanent, expensive thing. I am looking for this plasticy stuff that gets sprayed on.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:37:52 -0400, "D.D. Palmer" graced this newsgroup with:

didn't find that but I found this:

bounce

"D.D. Palmer" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You mean the protective white film you see on new cars? I'd guess its not easily available, or cheap. I'm curious what the technical term is for that stuff and how it's applied. Looks like either vacuum or heat-shrinked at the factory.

Anyway I've had this problem before with pine trees. The best solution I found was to use a polymer wax and keep everything protected. I'd check maybe every other day with my hand to see if there was any sap that had dripped on. If there was, I'd get that area wet and try to swirl it around with a finger, then wipe it all off with a damp cloth. If the body is waxed regularly it should remove itself rather easily.

Reply to
Dave Stone

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

There is stuff made by 3M Automotive called Overspray Masking Liquid (3M product #06847) used by body shops but it is water soluble and would wash off in the rain.

There is stuff called Crashwrap that is like clear plastic wrap

also used by body shops to protect cars exposed to the elements. Several coats of a good quality wax/sealer will protect the paint. You can use automotive bug and tar remover to remove sap but it also strips wax. You might want to try a cleaner like Simple Green, which is kinder to the wax.

Reply to
Ray O