Information on used GC please...

I'm thinking about replacing my 1993 GC Limited with a later model.

Looking at prices, I can possibly afford a 2005 or even stretch to a

2006 but the 1999 to 2004s are MUCH more in my price range.

Are there any major flaws in the two models? What should I look out for?

And finally, is the 2005 and later worth the difference in price if I found a super clean 2004 and a super clean 2005 with equal mileage?

BTW, I'm limiting my search to the 4.7 V8 in a GC Limited.

Reply to
XS11E

Dave Milne

That's not a problem for me, I'm no longer able to do any of my own work so it's up to the Jeep dealer to fix any damage he/she/it does but that's a good thing to know if I have to do an emergency repair, thanks!

I've read about that. From what I hear, the problem is very common and I'd probably have one that was already repaired if I get a used one,

I'm wondering if the repair from a dealer would just replace with the same defective parts or is there an update? I'd also plan on getting some extended warranty coverage if I do buy so I'll have to make sure that's covered.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
XS11E

2005 gave the ZJ four wheel disc brakes and a very impoved quadratrac transfer case (low lock rather than limited slip). Apart from that you also got a better OBD system.

All depends on what they are loaded with. I don't recall any big issues one way or the other. Apart from problems with the rear flipper glass and the defrosting grid getting corroded.

Reply to
DougW

GIve the differentails close proximity to road and that this is kinda a off road vehicle, I question the wisdom of saving a few pounds of weight with a aluminum rear axle housing.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hey. How's it going?

I just bought a 2006 Laredo with very low mileage. I drove a few and noticed a huge difference in handling between the

99-04 and the 05 and later models.

Mine has the 4.7 and so far, just a few days, I am very happy with it.

The entire front end was re-engineered for 05 and it actually handles like you would expect a modern vehicle to handle. No wandering, no tracking grooves, tight cornering. The seats seem much firmer and more supportive as well. The head rest is actually in a location where you can use it too.

After driving 3 05/06 models and a couple of older ones I stopped looking at the older ones altogether even though I preferred the styling of the 99-04s

An 05 should also be elligible for an extended warranty if you get one under 36k miles.

Reply to
Bob Mann

It's not, I still can't stand the pain of opening my wallet. It's a MAJOR decision, I'm putting around 1,000 miles/year or less on my 1993, it's in VERY good condition and has just under 88,000 miles now. I'm using the '93 primarily as a vehicle to haul my scooter now, trips to Costco, Walmart SuperCenter, the zoo, etc. Place too big for me to walk around. I can still walk some, just not more than maybe 1/2 a block.

The main reason I have to get a later model is a desire for adjustable lumbar support which I really need. I also think moving the spare from the side as in my '93 might give me room to put a scooter inside w/o having to use the lift on the back.

Also, I really LIKE the newer ones!

Good to know!.

It has more power and better fuel economy. My 5.2 is in bad need of new plugs, wires, throttle body cleaning, etc. to restore engine performance. IF I decide to keep it, I'll have to have that done and it'll cost but I'm no longer able to do the work myself.

Good information, I've only driven one of the newer ones and only once around the block with a salesman telling me how the vehicle was stickered at $45,000 but with my trade in I could get it for only $44,999.99 or something like that....

Agreed, the new body style is UGLY!

Actually, any used vehicle under 100,000 miles is eligible for some extended warranty if you go to sources other than factory but I much prefer the factory one, of course.

Reply to
XS11E

2005? Are you sure you don't mean 1995?

Reply to
J. Clarke

HVAC problems (blend doors, evaporator), brake problems (warped rotors). Otherwise, just general issues that you're probably used to already. Jeeps aren't the most reliable vehicles around.

I went from a 96 to a 99 and am quite disappointed with the ride and handling of the newer model. A '05 is way out of my means but if you're trying to decide between 04 and 05, test drive both and really check out how they both handle. There's no excuse if the '05 doesn't handle better than any of the older ones, but who knows..

If you do decide for the older one, why spend the money on a '04? I've parked my 99 next to an 04 and can't figure out what's different other than costing 1/3 as much.

I can't see the logic in that. Guess you'll never see this response. Oh well...

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I'll have to learn how to check for that...

Not really, I have 88,000 on Jeep number 4, so far I've replace the radiator, had a leaky refrigerant hose and a bad fuel pump. I can't consider that particularly unreliable.

Agreed but usually the older ones are much higher mileage.

Follow the link in the signature, you'll see the logic in that. Almost all the spam in usenet comes from Google Groups, they encourage it, believe it or not!

I can see responses to my posts if I want to and I thank you for the information you've given.

Reply to
XS11E

That sucks mightily.

The 99 put the spare under the floor inside the hatch. The 05 put it under the car like a truck. I prefer it inside but I see the value of having it outside too. The 05 and up has a lumbar adjustment. Manual in the Laredo, probably power in the Limited. Personally I don't care for leather upholstery.

Yeah. I was looking at older ones but my wife was turning up her nose and since we both have to share it.........

I can't either. Mainly because I don't know how.

Good deals on Autotrader.com Relatively low mile 05s for $16,500 and up. Should be able to get a very nicely equipped one for $21-23k I was looking at the Hemi Limiteds but if I import it to Canada the warranty is void on both sides of the border. I ended up with a Laredo with about 13k miles for $25k We get ripped off in Canada on cars. That was pretty much the best deal in the country for a low mile 06 too.

I like the front end but that back end looks like an afterthought.

I was thinking of factory. Most aftermarket ones have $100-$200 deductibles. They do have a rebate if you don't use it which usually ends up meaning you pay to fix anything around $300 or less so you don't lose the rebate. The factory extended warranty is about $300 more than the aftermarket so I'll stick to factory. Plaus Chrysler shouldn't go out of business. Several of the warranty companies have.

Reply to
Bob Mann

I was hoping to spend about $16,250 less..

It looks like I'll have to spend around 25K or near there.

Maybe I'll think about it awhile longer. I keep checking AutoTrader and the deals change pretty frequently so something will show up sooner or later....

Reply to
XS11E

If your '88 is working fine and all you need is the lumbar, why not check car-part.com periodically until you find a used power seat with lumbar from a '97 or '98 then see if the local high school auto shop will swap it out for you? The seat should be under $300 and the shop will probably do it for cost.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've thought of that and I may very well do it, but I'd still like to be able to get a scooter in the back and off of the rear lift if that's possible. We'll see...

Reply to
XS11E

Heh....don't we all?

You should be able to get a very nicely equipped one for that.

There's always something.

Reply to
Bob Mann

For what it's worth -- I'll put in my standard remark: I think it was '05 (?) when they switched from the 727-based transmission to a new 5- speed automatic (545rfe?).....I'll save regular readers from explaining, just do a search in this group for "Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems" or something of the sort.

Happy Shopping

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I believe that the last 727 transmission was called the "36rh" or some such. I had one in a 1997 Ram Van. Even a novice transmission rebuilder like myself can successfully put in a rebuild kit. If you believe that overdrive is going to save you fuel, well then you probably don't want one, but it is a sweet long-lasting transmission.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

She Who Must Be Obeyed has come up with an interesting suggestion, she says I *WILL* enjoy remodelling the bathroom much more than getting a new Jeep.

That's certainly something to think about....

Reply to
XS11E

That's not so bad. The cat and I are refinishing the floors in the old Victorian we live in, while the wife and the dog work a nursing gig and doggie behavior class in the next town, only fifty miles away. I am too old for behavior class, and the cat is the wrong species. The bathroom is going to be a problem, because I just don't know what is under that linoleum. I might have to tile it.

Send her to Rio for two weeks, get the Jeep AND remodel the bathroom while she is gone.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hmmmm.... the bathroom works perfectly (although it could be prettier, I guess?) The 1993 GC works perfectly (although it could be prettier, I guess?)

Maybe I'll send ME to Rio and let HER remodel the bathroom and get the Jeep when I return?

Can you lend me the money? ;-)

Reply to
XS11E