Factory Tinted glass on the Forester >????

Does anyone know if Subaru offers factory tinted glass? I see is listed as option on many other vehicles, but see no mention whatsover about tinted glass as an option on the corporate website. Is it standard and not mentioned, or just not available???? TIA

Reply to
ZZ

WRXtreme

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Which country are you talking about???

Here in Australia, my MY01 Liberty (Legacy) came with factory maximum tinted glass......

But I don't know what the maximum ratings are overseas..... you may look at my windows and assume they are not tinted at all, if your maximum rating is darker than ours.

THIS IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHY I SUGGESTED LAST WEEK THAT POSTERS ADVISE WHICH COUNTRY THEY ARE IN / REFERRING TO

Spinifex

91 Liberty (Australian Legacy) RS Turbo AWD Manual 2.0 T 85 Le> I think my Forester cam with a tint but, not the privacy dark tint.
Reply to
Spinifex

Then we'd also better specify our state -- because tint laws vary from one state to the next.

- Greg Reed, who still thinks it's unnecessary.

Reply to
Ignignokt

AUSTRALIA

well Greg.... no offence, but you are obviously one of those classic American's who think they own the internet, and the entire world..... well guess what...... NOT ALL POSTERS / READERS ARE FROM U.S.A.

what possible harm can there be in expressing your identity by country (and yes, state if the thread requires it).... you Americans are always SOOOOO patriotic, and yet you find it unnecessary to identify yourself as American in these posts ???????

What is the point in asking the entire world a question, the answer for which is VERY likely to be dependent on your location, if you are not going to SPECIFY your location. There's not much point in UK or Australian or New Zealand or Asian or European posters replying to your questions, if they don't know the applicable details for USA

And like I have stated before.... MOST of the questions regarding problems (as opposed to general requests for information) come from USA. Not a very good indicator of the quality of the vehicles the American's are manufacturing...... Don't hear too many Aussie posters complaining about dud alternators or oil leaks !!!

Sp> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

Reply to
Spinifex

Canadian eh. So howz it goin eh.

Item 1: I originally went to by a new Legacy GT Wagon (my third Subaru) but after testing the Forester I had a decision to make.... Forester-Japanese build, Legacy-US build, That clinched it. An 04 Forester XS it was.

Item 2: The Forester came with a minimal factory tint, here rated in the amount of light it lets through I believe it's 50% In Canada you can have the aft, sorry, rear five windows tinted up to 5%, that's almost blacked out when viewed from the outside-in. I had mine done 20% after market at a auto glass shop - $175 CDN, just a film applied. The common ratings are 5% (black), 20% (security tint) and 35% (pale sunglasses like).

Hope that helps eh.

Canadian eh. So howz it goin eh.

US (SW Lower Michigan) We're Number 1!

But, but, we're number 1!

I think we can have that, too. I see lots of factory-stock vehicles with the back windows tinted darkly...my Villager's rear windows are very dark. Yet virtually all the Subies look like fishbowls. What's it cost to have the rear of my Outback wagon tinted professionally? How well does the stuff I can install myself work...does it last?

Here in Michigan, they have a law about tinted windows, but the morons forgot to specify *how much* in the law. So, if you get a ticket you go back and tell them to forget about it, since they can't say how much is too much.

We're Number 1!

-John O

Reply to
John O

To have a forester professionally tinted would run about $150-200 US. A good shop will use a quality tint such as Madico brand and it can be expected to last the life of the car. Madico tint can't be purchased in stores and is a premium quality commericial tint. When you look through it you see clearly, with no aberrations (when properly applied). Its not like those .99 cent tint jobs where the car's windows look purple and cloudy. I had my sedan done 2.5 years ago and it's fantastic.

Consult you local police about tint laws. Some states allow all the back windows to be basically painted opaque other only allow the 30% which comes from the factory. The Subaru windows are tinted 30% which is too light to tell, it's not like the 'privacy' glass you see on domestic SUV. Also, the vehicle class can determine what can be tinted. In NY if it's a station wagon, SUV, or truck the back windows can be tinted but if its a car on the rear most window can legally be tinted. But most jurisdictions ignore this.

If you go with a quality sh> US (SW Lower Michigan) We're Number 1!

Reply to
null

However - I believe that Subaru of America now classifies the Forester in the "light-truck" category. Beside allowing for lower CAFE (fuel economy) requirements, I believe it also allows for tinted or even no windows. You can find SUVs, minivans, or other vehicles in the light-truck category with darkly tinted windows sold from the factory. Most delivery vans/minivans don't even have rear windows.

Personally - I don't feel that a heavily tinted window is a wise decision. As a driver, I feel that following a vehicle with dark windows doesn't help me with evaluating if that car in front of me is tailgating.

Reply to
y_p_w

Good point, many of the DOT (USA) rules don't apply to trucks.

-John O

Reply to
John O

To which Americans are you refering? Canadian, Brazillian, Mexican, Peruvian, Cuban or what? You DO understand do you not that there is some

20 odd countries in America and that I personally have never seen an American flag if there even is such a thing? Maybe I'll paint it on the hood of my Subie!
Reply to
JW

How exactly was I supposed to read that without taking offense? I'm not a jingoist, and I challenge you to find a single word ever typed or penned by me -- anywhere, Internet or otherwise -- indicating that I think Americans "own the internet" or "the entire world."

Your own prejudice about me is just flat wrong. It's quite a leap to go from "I don't think it's necessary to always state our country of origin in a car enthusiast forum" to "I'm a jingoistic selfish obscene American who is wholly insensitive to the rest of the world and who wishes to expunge all traces of non-American culture from the face of the earth and particularly from the Internet." What I wrote was the former. What you seem to have heard was the latter.

None at all. Find where I wrote that there would be any. And if one's state (or province, which you neglected to mention -- are you insensitive to my neighbors to the north?) should only be mentioned "if the thread requires it" then why not also the country? This is all that I've suggested: That it's unnecessary to *always* mention one's location -- that it only need be mentioned "if the thread requires it." Personally, I don't really give a ratt's butt *what* you put in your messages. This is *your* little party, not mine. I was perfectly content to leave it be -- right up until you decided to insult me for being so bold as to state my disagreement when asked.

... but of course nobody outside the United States is ever condescending or prejudicial about us ...

For the record, what I find unnecessary is *always* identifying oneself as American (or Canadian or Australian or Finnish or Venezuelan ...) regardless of the content or context of one's message. I don't think that's a particularly ridiculous opinion, and I don't think it indicates excessive hubris on my part. That you feel compelled to hurl insults at me for it indicates far more about you than about me.

You're welcome to include whatever information you want in your posts -- as I'm pretty sure I already intimated. And you're entitled to your opinion of American workmanship. I've no shame about the fertilis Americana, when taken as a whole. I suppose it's worth noting that in addition to a reduced incidence of dud alternators and oil leaks you Aussies have also never had a space shuttle accident. And then there was that whole ARPANet thing. I don't think anything good ever came from that, either.

You know, before I stumbled across this, I had just finished typing a post about laws mandating the use of safety equipment. In that post, I indicated both my country and state -- because it was pertinent information. In other posts I've submitted, I didn't include this information, because it wasn't pertinent. See how that works? You write what you want to write and I write what I want to write. And everybody -- except you, apparently -- is happy.

And remember that you *asked* for opinions about your idea. If you only wanted those that conveyed agreement, you should have indicated as much up front and saved both of us a lot of trouble. And I thought I was pretty cordial in expressing my disagreement -- or at least I refrained from hemorrhaging vitriol of the type exhibited in the message to which I'm now replying.

G'day, Spinifex (or, as we'd say in my German class, "guten abend"),

- Greg Reed (who so loathes the world outside his country's borders that he's taking German)

Reply to
Ignignokt

I learned that the purple color of many window tint films is the result of using ammonia-based window cleaners on them. This might only apply to cheaper tint films, but I'm now in the habit of avoiding ammonia-based window cleaners when cleaning *any* tinted windows -- even those with factory tint. (Better safe than stupid-looking purple windows. Or something like that.)

Might be helpful, might not. I've known police to just tell people "you can't do that" when asked, either because they (the cops) personally dislike the thing being asked about or because they're too lazy to find out the correct answer. As with any profession, the ranks of the local constabulary contain people with both extremes of the ambition and knowledge scales. A better solution IMHO is to look up the laws yourself on the Internet. And maybe even print them out and stick them in your glove box, for the day when one of the less-informed members of your local police department attempts to "serve and protect" you with a citation for perfectly legal window tint.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

I've occasionally been troubled by the apparent hijacking of our entire continent by citizens of the United States of America in describing our nationality. I'm given a tiny bit of solace by the fact that there really isn't any other good word for describing us -- USians? Unionites? Our country's full name just doesn't lend itself well to forming such a word. (Much the same problem afflicts residents of my home state of Michigan. I think we've informally settled on "Michiganders," though I've heard some use "Michiganians." But neither of these flows as well as "Californians" or "New Yorkers" or "Kansans" or even "Floridians." Are people from Indiana "Indians?" And I have no idea what people in New Jersey call themselves...)

Citizens of all the other American countries you mention have good words to describe their nationality -- you used them in fact to name them off. If anybody can come up with a better word than "American" to describe my own nationality, I'm open to suggestions. But the pragmatist in me recognizes that, for better or worse, pretty much the entire world has come to understand that "Americans" are from that one North American country called the "United States of America." So I use the word -- not out of a lack of respect or appreciation for all the other nations that inhabit the American continent(s) (I don't want to get into a semantic argument about whether North, Central, and South America are one continent, or two, or even three), but rather because it seems to be working for its intended purpose of effectively communicating the notion of citizenship in the United States of America.

Or maybe because I'm a self-centered jingoist American bigot. It's apparently hard to say for sure.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

AUSTRALIA

In the context of the discussion, I was referring to NORTH Americans.... residents of the U.S. of A.

So, what you are implying is... that in the general sense of the word, as understood worldwide, a Cuban, Mexican, Brazilian, Peruvian or Canadian person will identify themselves as being "American" ???

I think not...... They would identify themselves as specifically from their OWN countrt.... OR generally being SOUTH American, or Canadian, as the case may be....

I respect your right to post here and to hold your own opinions... but please, don't try to detract from the original meaning and intention of my post by going off on tangents.

My intention was thus... NOT all posters / readers are from USA, therefore, ANY poster from ANY country should not assume that EVERYONE reading will understand the details.... not all models are available in every country... therefore, not everyone will understand pricing, equipment levels, model names or structures.

Therefore... a quick notation in the subject line, or first line of a post, identifying country (or state if necessary) will enable foreign readers to select the posts they wish to read.... or will dispel their confusion if details within the post are foreign to their own local specifics.

I also respect other posters rights to disagree on my thoughts of this being necessary or polite.

Spinifex AUSTRALIA

Reply to
Spinifex

Dear Mr Reed

I apologise wholeheartedly and agree totally with everything you have just responded.

You are absolutely right - I jumped to the wrong conclusion about your good self, and should not have written what I did....

My only excuse, and a poor one at that, is that I had a bad day at work, and I took personal offense to someone disagreeing with my opinion.

I agree with you.... country & locality should be included where necessary, and I agree that not ALL posts will require this.

I just find it annoying that I read posts which are describing models, pricing, equipment levels etc, etc, that are unheard of in Australia. If I had known at the beginning of thread that this was a US specific, or Canadian specific, or Venezuelan specific thread, I would most likely have bypassed it, unless I was particularly interested due to accurate subject headings.

My apologies again for my childish display... I meant no personal offense, it was just a generic vitriolic response... I do not mean to stereotype ALL Americans as being as I described.

I respect your right to disagree with my opinion, and to hold your own opinions.

Spinifex AUSTRALIA

PS: In terms of my allegiance to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Sovereign of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Commonwealth Countries..... as a child (late 70's / early 80's), with no understanding of politics, etc, I had a general liking for the Royal Family as my Grandparents (being of that generation, having GREAT allegiance to the Royals) had a large part in my upbringing.

However now, as an adult, the world has changed. I see no particular reason for Australia to continue having a foreign figurehead. Again, I don't know much about, and have very little interest in, politics of any persuasion, so I don't have a definitive opinion on this matter.

Ignignokt wrote:

Reply to
Spinifex