Fuel Pump Resistor,1990 LS 400

There is a large resistor near the fuel pump relay. According to the schematics, it is powered when the fuel pump relay is de-energized. The current that would go to the fuel pump, then goes through this resistor to the computer (ECU). Does anyone know the purpose of this resistor? Thanks, John snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Ackerman

I stand corrected. The resistor is in series with the fuel pump. I can only assume it is to make the pump run slower when not as much fuel is needed. Correct? Also, I was wrong. The resistor is in series when the fuel pump relay is energized. The relay is energized by the ECU. Do I have this all right? John snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Ackerman

No. The fuel pump runs at a constant speed.

Without looking at the wiring diagram, it's difficult to tell what the purpose of the resistor is, if it is in fact a resistor. Are you sure you are looking at a resistor (sawtooth symbol) and not the magnetic part of the fuel pump relay (curley-Q)?

Reply to
Ray O