Ford PATS key question

Hi all

The question : 1998 Ford Escort Base Model, we have the red PATS key to hand and I need to get a new black one cut - will the average key shop have a black transponder key in stock and what's the approximate cost?

Thanks

BT

p.s. the black one gave up the ghost 50 miles from home - no real symptoms apart from a refusal to unlock the driver's door - is that more likely to the key being worn rather than a transponder problem?

Reply to
Bawb

Not sure of the cost, but the key will need to be programmed to the cars ECU so it's allowed to start the engine.

Ford keys have a habbit of wearing down. The transponder chip in the key is not required to open doors, just disable the immobiliser.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Almost certain to stock them, very common key.

Likely a worn key. the lock is also probably just as worn, may be a good idea to have that repaired at the same time, or it will soon wear out the new key, or will simply stop functioning as a lock and will open with any Tibbe key.

To save you the hassle or reprogramming, you can possibly remove the chip from the worn key, and put it in your new one, the locksmith may do this for you.

Reply to
SimonJ

No problem - Timpson did one for me for 12 quid.

Full programming instructions from mirez.co.uk:

PATS System I: This system uses a solid RED master key without this key the system can not accept new keys and will need to be taken to ford. To program a new key:

-First insert your red master key in the ignition and turn to position II. When the control light (in clock/trip) illuminates turn the ignition off and remove the key.

-After approximately 2 seconds the control light illuminates again for a short period.

-When the control light goes out you have 10 seconds to program your new key.

-Insert the new key in the ignition and turn it to position II. The control light illuminates to indicate a successful programming operation.

-Remove the key.

Cheers,

Tony

Reply to