IS250 / IS350

Anyone have one yet? I saw a IS250 up close at the dealer the other day. I was a bit underwhelmed considering the $33k sticker on it. BMW 3series impressed me more at same price point.

Reply to
oibus

I've seen a few and am unimpressed. To me it looks like they took the old "edgy" IS300 and 'softened' it to be more of an old man's car-- kind of like the rest of the Lexus line. I'm going to try hanging on to my '02 manual until the next generation, and hope for something better-- even though the new 3.5L V6 is much more powerful and fuel efficient than the old 3L I-6 on my car. Not only that, but according to the website, the price of a 350 is about the same as a comparably equipped 330i. At least my IS was around $5000 cheaper than a Bimmer. To me the only redeeming quality is that the latest 3-series BMW is every bit as ugly!

Of course if they made the 350 in a manual, I might reconsider.....

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

"oibus" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The Lexus dealership where I purchased my car called me up a couple of weeks ago and asked me to come down and check out the IS350, so that I could give them some candid feedback since I am an '02 IS300 owner. Although I haven't driven one yet, I did sit in a matador red IS350 with navigation and Mark Levinson sound system. I didn't have time to drive it the day I dropped in for a few minutes while running some errands near the dealership. Personally, I like the looks of the car better than the new BMW 3-Series. However, I don't really care for the IS250/350 doors. Take a look at how high the doors extend upwards towards the roofline on these cars. Makes the windows appear to be really small. Same problem with the Nissan 350Z when compared to the 300ZX(Z-32, 1990-1996 model years). I just don't like this type of body style--although I do realize that this type of door design improves the car's safety when speaking in terms of side impact crashes. Lexus did do a really good job with the interior of the IS250/350. It's definitely more luxurious, but not as sporty-looking as the IS300's. Of course Lexus has been getting hammered for five straight years now about how "boy racer" and "cheap looking" the IS300's interior looks. I don't completely agree with this assessment of the IS300's interior. In fact, I was just thinking today how much I like my IS300's interior while driving it home from work. The IS300 just appears to be more sporty if you asked me, but the IS250/350 does have an extremely classy look to it. Looks like the car for a man or woman of some serious means. :-) And when you consider the fact that a fully loaded IS350 with ML will run you about $44,000.00, you'd better have some bucks before purchasing one of these beasts.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

That styling design of high doors and small windows seems to be the latest fad. I hate it. It makes me feel like I'm a Sherman tank driver, peering out that little slot in front.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I agree. The high doors-small windows design really does suck. the Sherman tank comparison was hilarious! LOL And oh so true.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Looks are secondary to me. Lexus got the engine very right in the IS350 and very wrong in the IS250. Where Lexus totally blew it was in terms of handling. The Bangle-challenged E90 leaves it for dead in terms of handling and the lack of a manual gear box in the IS350 makes it a dead issue for people who really love to drive.

They screwed the pooch, again, for the performance-oriented driver.

Reply to
GLitwinski

I agree completely. If I were in the market right now I'd have considered the 3-series but it's even uglier than the IS.

Of course, compared to my 02, the current IS350 gained around 3-400 pounds, lost its manual transmission, and became just another old man's Lexus. Own one of those, or an SC430, and you're guaranteed to be the sexiest guy at the retirement home. Not only that, but when I bought the IS, it was $5000 cheaper than a comparable 330i. Now they're about the same price.

As of now there's no car that particularly interests me, and my IS is in pretty good shape, so I'm praying I don't get into a major wreck and total the car-- at least not until this current styling fad is over. With luck someone will build a good looking car that's not a cross between a blimp and a Sherman tank.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

Reply to
aniramca

I always liked the original IS, including the retro dash and sporty ride. Just thought it was slightly small and the 3 liter six, while excellent in the (sainted) Supra TT, was too weak and too thirsty in the IS. A pity that the powerful IS350 six is a V6 instead of an I6 and no manual box comes with it.

Reply to
GRL

If the car magazine people are telling the truth, Lexus is trying to target BMW buyers. They are just not very good at hitting the target they are aiming at. Infiniti may or may not being targeting BMW, but they are getting very, very close.

Reply to
GRL

As for Lexus being the best car, that depends on which properties that define a car you are talking about. Reliability, smooth ride (most Lexi), plush interior, I don't think anyone will argue with you. As for things that a driving enthusiast might value highly, few Lexi offer anything of interest to such a person. No Lexus is the best sports sedan, for example.

Reply to
GRL

The 2JGZE L6 wasn't shaping up for emmissions standards. )-:

Reply to
Bo Yancey

I'm sure you are right. I also understand the superior packaging dynamics of a V6 let it be used in a NS and WE orientation. Nevertheless, this sacrifices the inherent balance and "sweetness" of a good in-line six...like BMW makes.

Reply to
GLitwinski

I could ask you the same question:

What is your definition of the best sports sedan? And to what other car (engine, e.g.) are you comparing it?

It's all a matter of personal taste. I ordered my IS220d last week. Unfortunately it's due for June, 28th *aaaarhhhggggg!!!* It'll be a serious test of my patience.

But why the Lexus: it's simple. I don't want a BMW because you alreay see too many of them; and I want to drive something else that is at least as good. And as far as I have examined it, you get more quality for the same price at Lexus (try ordering the same car with GPS navigation and multimedia pack, etc and then compare the prices).

Before, I have tried Saab 9-3, but I was not too pleased with it (too many problems).

The Lexus IS220d is my preferred choice and will be my car for the next

4 years. I had one for half a day to test drive it, and I just wanted that car. Amazing.

Koen.

"GRL" wrote in news:NHOdf.22461$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga:

Reply to
Koen D