Lexus vs mercedes

Hello

I have both a lexus and a mercedes. To be honest the Lexus is the IS and the merc is the E-class but with diesel engine. My judgement go for the Lex. It is refined, reliable, more luxurious, better finish, and last but not least you are treated as a customer.

My merc 104000km and already second engine. Navigation failure, cd failur, parking sensor failure, it was in the garage already 4 times within 1 year.

The Lexus 124000km and still first engine, first exhaust, first shockbreakers and first driving belt. hey it is the best car I have....in the four years i have been driving it now it has only been in the garage for

2 times. but that was because of the CD player and about the door. which was slammed by the wind and had problem.....

Besides the new GS is the safest car on the market....with 5 Star of the EURO NapCAT test

cheers

Mike From: "Jeff Sloane" Subject: Mercedes E320 4matic or a Lexus GS300 AWD (new in 05) Date: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 3:23 AM

Which to buy a legend or reliability? Owned two ES300's and in 7 years each car was in the shop just once. Still, the Mercedes E320 4matic is soooo nice and great to drive but it seems that there are some serious reliability questions so I'm wondering - has anyone had a good mercedes experience or are the commercials all blatent misrepresentations? I've got the new GS300 AWD on order (decided to get in early if I decided to go that way - can still cansel the order if I decide to go Mercedes) but I am really torn.

Duffy

Reply to
d035417

Over the years there have been several people ( including me ) in this group who have owned both cars. The Benz is a fine car , but it pales in comparison to the Lexus when it comes to reliability.

In the USA , the big Cadillac sedans and convertibles were legends until the mid 70's. Cadillac started making cars that were unreliable and Mercedes took over. Mercedes was king of the road until the mid

90's. The Benz S class has gone the way of the big old Cadillac sedan.

Since Lexus has greatly increased it's price in the last 15 years , nobody is buying them to save money. I would have bought a new S class in 2000 ( I have an '01 LS430 and a '97 LS400 ), but reliability problems with previous Benz's were enough to scare me away.

If you really are torn between the two cars, ask yourself if you are willing to sacrifice reliability for the Mercedes name plate. A sweet running car can leave a very sour taste in your mouth when you have to take it to the repair shop on a regular basis. Friends of mine have had nothing but trouble with their E class Benz's. If you must have a Benz , I would get the S class . It still won't be as reliable as any Lexus.

I agree with that post as I've owned 7 Mercedes and 5 Lexi. All of that being said, I am not so sure you are sacrificing anything with Lexus. The entire world now views Lexus as the quality leader. And most truly objective reviewers (Consumer Reports, for one) says the LS430 is the best car ever made. As to price, while it is true that Lexus has gone up in price from the initial 1989 "priced to buy marketshare" prices, today's LS430 is the SAME price as in 1989 if you keep the equipment the same and adjust for inflation. Believe that or not. Mercedes, however, is probably LESS than in

1989 inflation and equipment adjusted, but they cut quality to get there. Want the headaches, get the Benz (been there, dun that). Want an aggravation-free ownership experience, go Lexus.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Have had two ES300s for the wife and both have had major problems. The first was a 93 and it blew out its tranny at around 80,000 miles. So we had to buy her a 2000 cause she was afraid of the car after I had the tranny rebuilt at the place where Rexus has its tranny work done. The second one has serious brake problems - rotors warp and shoes wear out at 18,000 miles and Rexus says "tough - she did it!" After some discussions, Rexus did decide to pay for 50% of the job. And there have been several other little problems. Of course the 92 E400 and the 96 S420 have been true nightmares for leaving in the shop often enough to forget what they drive like. And the Rexus is now overpriced, and the maintanence costs are realllllly out of sight with it. In fact, the Rexus costs more to service than the Mercedes by around 25%. So the Rexus is not the perfect replacement for the Merc.

Reply to
mcbrue

Oh yes - don't forget the killer acclearator delay built into the fancy Rexus trannies. That is a real problem that is going to block me from buying a Rexus I fear.

Reply to
mcbrue

I agree that a tranny at 80,000 miles might be considered "unreasonable", but it's borderline. The brakes and rotors thing, however, happens every day. Depends on how you drive. Here in Pittsburgh brakes last 20,000 miles, maybe and rotors usually 40,000 give or take. I CAN tell you that I am getting DOUBLE the pad life on my LS430 as I did on my old Mercedes S320.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Sounds like your family would be better off with a chauffeur.

Reply to
RR

I think it is not that easy to judge as I have made the opposite experience. I am driving now the E class the latest one and came accross so many problems including a new engine at 92000km that is a pitty.,...

in Opposite my Lex is lasting and runs and runs without any problems...

Reply to
MIke Tjoeng

Pure canards.

It is a well known fact that Mercedes reliability is very poor while Lexus' is excellent (reference Consumer Reports, Consumer Guide, and J.D. Powers). Mercedes parts prices have always been higher, as a whole, compared to any American or Asians parts (reference Autoweek and your local dealers).

You want to spend your money on Mercedes. Go right ahead. Just don't give any false information such as percentage points without backing it up with data. In fact, all the data that can be found proves you wrong.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Are you sure you owned 2 Lexus before ? You can't even spell Lexus correctly...

My wife and I used to own a brand new '96 Mercedes C280, piece of junk, lot of expensive repair, sold it within a year and bought a new '99 Lexus RX300. Still driving my precious.

V.

Reply to
Vinny