Lexus GS300 V Mercedes E320

In the market for a new luxury vehicle, I am trying to decide between the above 2. What do you Lexus guys think is the advantage of the GS300?

Reply to
Bob Smith

The GS300 is made by a credible car company. The E320 is made by Chrysler.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

1) Far better reliability. 2) Easier to use controls. 3) Cheaper to maintain. 4) Better gas mileage.
Reply to
Viperkiller

The quality of the Merc has slowly been eroding over the past few years. I work with a bunch of attorney's and the Merc owners have started to notice that the Lexus owners aren't ever having to go back to the dealer for "issues".

Reply to
Road Rage

I guess it is all relative as over here in the United Kingdom, we consider the GS300 a _huge_ vehicle. The car magazines lovingly call it a technobarge :)

Reply to
Trust No One®

Define: Normal People

Reply to
Road Rage

I'm 6'2 and 205 and never had an issue fitting into any Lexus comfortably.

Reply to
wtrplnet

ditto, I'm 6'2" and 225 and I fit very nicely in my wife's new GS, just wondered what the previous poster considered to be "normal"

Reply to
Road Rage

Do you mean other than far better reliability, better fuel economy, better control layout and luxury, and being cheaper to own with parts and service? How about better styling?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Viperkiller wrote "better fuel economy".

The E320 is a diesel, so its fuel economy is excellent.

Reply to
Bob Smith

in the US few e320s are diesels, the overwhelming majority are gas engines

Reply to
jdoe

jdoe wrote "in the U.S. few E320s are diesels".

I'm sitting her with the latest Mercedes E class brochure. They make a

E350 sedan E320 CDI sedan (diesel) E500 sedan E55 AMG sedan

No gasoline engine E320.

Reply to
Bob Smith

think he probably meant the E3's in general. Speaking from my area of the country the E350 is the only one I ever see on the road. Diesel takes a little more searching in my area is the reason I'm guessing.

Reply to
Road Rage

ok you win, this model year the e 350 replaced the e320, nonetheless the amount of diesels sold in the US by MB is miniscule in comparrison to gas engines

Reply to
jdoe

I think diesels will become more and more popular as the cost of fuel reaches ridiculous heights. In 07 Mercedes is introducing a new diesel engine that burns cleaner than gasoline. In addition in September in new clean burning diesel fuel will be mandatory in the U.S. I wonder if Lexus has a diesel in its future?

Reply to
Bob Smith

On Wed, 3 May 2006 19:43:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bob Smith) graced this newsgroup with:

gawd I hope so. I shudder to think that the only option for a luxury diesel is a Mercedes.

Reply to
kegler

They will make diesels if the market demands it. I hardly think there would be sufficient demand. They have answered with hybrids instead. This produces the conflicting demands of better performance and fuel economy that the U.S. market demands.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I stand corrected. It doesn't have better fuel economy than the E320. Instead, it has better performance.

In the case of the gasoline engine, the E350, it has better fuel economy.

Reply to
Viperkiller

if you are refering to the e320 cdi versus a gas e320 or e350, the statement about performance isn't correct. The e320 cdi is faster from a standing start than an e320 and equal to an e350 and they all top out at around the same speed because the high end is electronically limited. So to sum up, you get similar performance from a diesel with better fuel economy than a gas engine in addition diesels are a better performing engine with less maintanece issues and a longer lifespan than a gas engine

Reply to
jdoe