How many miles you can put on Lexus?

Most say Lexus is a Japanese "BMW" or "Mercedes" because Lexus is extremely reliable, and rock solid.

How many miles can you put on a well-maintained Lexus? I am not talking about any specific Lexus model. It could be any Lexus. I am just curious how many miles you can put on the Lexus engine given the fact that car is well-maintained and never been abused? I know that you can easily put 300 thousand miles. Is there anybody who has gone *way* beyond 300 thousand miles with his/her Lexus?

Reply to
Ryan Atici

Dan Patch

What makes you think so?

Reply to
Ryan Atici

Unfortunately, there are a number of knuckleheads on public boards.

While Lexus is a high end car, I would not put it in the reliability class of BMW and Mercedes. My experience says it is in a much higher reliability class. I have friends that have both BMW's and Mercedes and they are often in the shop, and BIG bills. My two Lexus's ('94 ES300 168,000miles) and '01 GS300 51,000 miles) do not appear to me to need the repairs that BMW and Mercedes require. I do maintenance as prescribed and they seem to run forever.

rgm

Reply to
rgm

Same experience. My frined has BMW 740IL '01. Replaced struts, radiator leaking, electrical problems and a $300 ass tray repair bill. He told me he is fed up with BMW and he never remembers having any problems with his old GS 300 '99. My father had a MB which was better then BMW but the problems where all cosmetic. Minor electricl problems, various covers falling off.. etc. Nothing major like BMW but the repair bills were still just as high. I have a '01 GS300 with 70,000 miles on it. The only money I inversted int he car is: new breaks, new tires, oil/trans fluids, rad flush, and a tuneup. about $1240 investment since August '00. So

40 month... about $31 per month. Plus GAS ofcourse... With a cost like that I can easily invest tripple that amount in anything in the futire and still come out on top.

My next cars if going to be '05 GSXXX. And I am keeping this one in the family.

Reply to
nGT

I don't think you'll get any responses from people who have a Lexus with way over 300,000 miles, because Lexus has only been in existence since what,

1990? And probably any high-mileage Lexus were purchased used, like mine, (1992 ES 300, with 238,500 miles, original engine and trans), because anybody with the money to have bought a new Lexus in the early 1990's, probably has the money to get a newer vehicle, and not drive a high mileage car. Hell, when I was a teen, if your American car made it to 100,000 miles, it was practically a miracle.

Reply to
Larry Parker

Even now, if any American car makes it up to 100 thousand miles, that's a miracle without any ***major*** problem. American cars are NO, NO....

Even if somebody gave me a brand new American car as a gift, I would not take it.

Reply to
Ryan Atici

In news:bt57l1$3j6hi$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-186312.news.uni-berlin.de, Ryan Atici being of bellicose mind posted:

Well now... a gift is a gift. Nothin' stopping you from trading in "the gift" on something you like better. Don't be foolish!

Reply to
Philip®

When I bought mine I asked Lexus about durability. They said "We don't really know." (Beautifully stated.) They told me (that being 9/01) that the highest-milage LS in the midwest region still in their system was at

240,000 miles and had got there "mostly" on routine maintenance. They also said the highest mileage LS they knew of in the US was at 320,000 miles with no major repairs.

I saw an article somewhere a few months ago that one of the very first LS 400's had reached 500,000 miles and the owner planned to keep driving it.

My LS at 55K is about due for tires, and the dealer says the rear brake pads are 40% worn and the front, 30%. No other detectable wear.

While most American cars don't turn 300,000 miles I don't think they're really all that bad. I put 218,000 on my '85 Mustang GT before it was totalled and it was still strong and sweet with no engine overhaul. The '65 Buick Wildcat my father bought new has never had an engine rebuild but is still smooth and will still light up both rear tires. One Saturn was recorded at 300,000 miles a few years ago. Saturn got some publicity out of it ... the first thing that wore out was the driver's seat. And the highest mileage ever recorded by any car was by an American car - a '63 Plymouth ran just over 1,000,000 miles before it was totalled by a drunk a couple of years ago.

I'm old enough to remember when a good car with 60K on the clock was heavily worn, and at 80K most cars were about run out.

I have a maintenance manual written in 1911. It remarks on the greatly improved durability of modern cars, saying that if well maintained they can be driven through an entire season without an overhaul.

--Pete

Reply to
Pete

Had a friend who traded his 1990 LS400 with 375,000 miles. Still totally dependable and only replaced his front seat because of wear at

300,000. Other than that just regular ma>When I bought mine I asked Lexus about durability. They said "We don't
Reply to
BobT

Reply to
rubio

something about the way you wrote your post. i dunno.

Reply to
Dan Patch

There is nothing wrong about what i wrote. i simply asked a genuine question without any hidden agenda. You should not call people names without being sure why you're calling them names.

Reply to
Ryan Atici

I own a 96 Grand Marquis. I have 202,000 miles on her, and she runs fine.

Not ALL American cars stink.

Reply to
bchargnon

And not ALL Japanese cars are superb.

I got a Lexus for Christmas, a 94 ES300 with 125K miles. Two weeks later, the transmission went out completely.

There's no excuse for that. None at all.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com, Elmo P. Shagnasty being of bellicose mind posted:

Yes there is. Having NEVER changed the trans fluid is one excuse followed by not dumping the trans fluid at 15k-20k mile intervals. There is a PURPOSE for that drain plug on the bottom of the transmission pan.

Reply to
Philip®

Not my friend, but my friend's friend got a brand new Honda and got the engine smoking because the oil in engine was as thick as milkshake. When the mechanic told the owner why he never got oil change, the owner was like "what oil change!?"

Some people are clueless. I bet the previous owner of Lexus never took care of the car and never got any oil change.

Reply to
Ryan Atici

I have an 82 Corvette that has 191,000 HARD miles on it and it does not use a drop of oil, etc. Just keep doing the basic maintenance. If this old technology car can get this may HARD miles, a Lexus should go way beyond.

BTW, have a 99 RX300 so I am not a troll.

But I do drive that Corvette HARD. If I don't see 100mph at least twice a week and redline getting there, its not being driven..

Reply to
lwags

See my other post about an 82 Corvette driven harder than any Lexus here that has right under 200,000 miles on it and is tighter than a drum. Will beat any Lexus except 430's.

BTW, I have a Lexus also.

Reply to
lwags

he said "brand new" american car... not 20 year old.

Reply to
Dan Patch