Need help with 1999 GS300 negotiation

I'm planning to purchase a used 1999 GS300 - 30 to 50k miles. Most likely from the dealer. Would appreciate advice from anyone who's made a similar purchase recently or would have insight into the process:

  • How much were you able to negotiate the dealer down (pls include year & miles)
  • What's the markup on Certified cars - how does that affect price
  • How were you treated on your trade-in

Also, with the special used Lexus financing in effect, does that put more pressure on the dealer to move units this month?

Pls e-mail snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. Many thanks!

Reply to
Andy

Upto $6k off original list price, but I found a better deal somewhere else. For example: 99 GS400 with 55K miles: Lexus dealer asks $31K. The same 99 GS400 with 13K miles from a private dealer - $28K.

I see as much as $8-10K markup on CPO cars from Lexus dealer

2001 GS430 with 22Kmiles, NAV, Mark Levingston, perfect, trade-in value is $31K. Big Scam.
Reply to
mike

When I was with my son last year and he was buying a used 2000 ES, the dealer offered to certify it for $850. Since it had only 16K on it and

2 1/2 years left on the warranty he passed. So I would think that the $850 is about the cost of certified over non certified.

I've seen certified 99 GS300 for 22,995 - 26995 with around 45-55 k miles.

Reply to
DonB

Also many certified Lexus are available with the 1.9% Lexus financing.

Reply to
DonB

You are right about the extended warranty on a Lexus or Toyota, not really worth it. When we bought our 2 year old '02 Lexus from a Lexus dealer I negotiated a price then told the salesman I wanted the 6 year extended warranty (in other words, another 2 years past the 4 year standard warranty) for no additional charge. He hemmed and hawed, but I said I'd walk otherwise (and meant it), so he gave it to me.

The only warranty claim I ever made was for a broken bracket in one seat, and that happened within the original warranty period. Zero claims during the extended warranty period - and the only thing that went wrong since was an oxygen sensor that went south and I had to pay $150 to replace.

I know this is just one data point, but it testifies to excellent Toyota/Lexus reliability and makes me question whether an extended warranty is worth paying for at all. Getting it for "free" is another matter.

Reply to
GRL