RayO , Re: LS Visor creaking

Ray - I have an 04 LS, and both front visors creak loudly when pulled down (or up, for that matter). I tried sliding them out on the shaft as far as possible, and lubricating, but to no avail. They still stick & creak as loud as ever when used.

Is there a way to remove the visor completely from the shaft ? The problem is in there somewhere, and without sliding the visor off entirely, I'll never be able to lube it at the problem point.

Thanks,

Walt

Reply to
njbok

What are you lubricating the shaft with? Hopefully, you are using silicone spray. A lot of aerosol lubricants come with a thin plastic snorkel that fits in the spray nozzle, have you tried sliding the visor about halfway out along the shaft, sticking the snorkel between the shaft and visor, and giving it a squirt?

I haven't figured out a way to remove the visor completely from the shaft, at least with the ability to put it back together again ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, that's what I used - silicon spray w/thin red tip attached. Problem is that there's no room to actually fit it in much, and it seems the spray doesn't get too far in there. I figured there must be some secret way to get the visor off the shaft - squeezing it in a certain place and pulling; inserting a thin blade or paper clip; etc.

Oh well, I'll keep trying things. Thanks for the response Ray.

walt

Reply to
njbok

Maybe not applicable to your car, but something to consider...on some cars, the visor needs to be at just the right angle to pull it off; at other angles, a ridge on the shaft retains the visor.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

That does make sense. I went out and tried it as many ways as I could, but still no luck. While doing so, I soon realized that there's also a hot wire in there, as the light came on when I tried flipping up the vanity mirror door to see if that might release it - I never thought of the fact that there are wires in there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Reply to
njbok

Try removing the visor by popping the plastic piece where the visor rod tilts and swivels and removing the screws that hold the visor assembly in place. As St. John Smythe suggested, with the visor assembly out of the car, you may be able to flip the visor in a position that allows you to remove it.

Reply to
Ray O