FORD 460 OIL PRESSURE

I have a difficult problem with a ford 460 in a rv converted shuttle bus. After running dry on oil(dont know why that happened) the oil pressure is 0 i confirmed that it really has no op. the engine is not locked up and starts but with no op i dont dare run it. if the oil pump is really dead its a real bear to get it out of the engine in this vehicle. this sounds real rube goldberg but is it possible to pump oil into another place in the engine like where the oil pressure sending unit is and have it circulate to the critical places? i cant find any place that shows the oil circulation path in the engine. I could get an electric pump hook the suction side to the oil pan drain and the discharge to some other place in the engine?

if anyone knows where i can find a drawing showing the oil circulation path in this engine please post it. thanks

mike

Reply to
MIKE

"MIKE" wrote in news:1141364897.534326.173560 @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's not really that bad unless the design of the bus makes it so. The pump is at the front of the block, and can be changed by simply dropping the oil pan. I've changed them in a hour before.

What's more likely is that the pump drive shaft under the distributor has sheared off. Pull the distributor and you'll know immediately.

this sounds real rube goldberg but is it possible to pump oil

I really doubt that would work. 460s oil in this order: cam; crank & top end. The oil pressure sender is at the back of the block at the very top: in other words, at the very end of the oiling system. You'd do better to install a dry sump system like racers use, but you're talking about a lot of expense.

Reply to
elaich

the design of the bus make it painful to remove the pan you must remove

2 a/c compressors and some other components loosen the engine and jack the whole engine up to access the pan bolts
Reply to
MIKE

Does the motor run? If it doesn't even try to fire, take the distributor cap off and crank the starter. If the rotor doesn't move, you've got either a fragged distributor gear or the roll pin that secures the gear to the distributor shaft is sheared off. The distributor gear has a hex-shaped female opening that the hex-shaped oil pump drive shaft slides into. So if the gear isn't turning, the oil pump won't turn either. This would be the easiest thing to fix, although if it were me I would still drop the pan to remove the broken bits.

If it's a sheared roll pin, the most likely cause is a piece of valve seal got into the oil pump and locked it up.

If the rotor turns, then I would check for sure that there's no oil pressure. A wiring problem or a bad sensor can make the pressure gauge or the idiot light give a false indication of no pressure. For this check disconnect the plumbing where the oil pressure sender screws in (probably at the front of the block down low on the driver's side) and crank the engine to see if there's leakage.

If there's no leakage, and if the distributor rotor is turning, then you need to check for a broken or twisted oil pump shaft. (The shaft can twist up like a licorice stick and get too short to keep from falling out.) Take out the distributor and look down inside the hole and look for the hex-shaped male shaft.

If it's there, then you've got a big problem, that somewhere there's an internal "leak" that's letting all the oil supply out. Good oil pressure requires that there be something for the pump to push against. If all the oil is escaping through a wide-open leak, then there's nothing to push against. Possibly a bearing shell has been spun and ground down so thin that the oil that comes out the galley at that bearing is escaping out the sides and robbing the oil pressure from the rest of the engine.

If this is the case, no externally jerry-rigged oiling system is going to help. Also, if your problem is a busted oil pump drive shaft, it's might be just a matter of time before the crank catches one of the broken pieces and flings it hard into something else, totally fragging your engine and leaving your RV conversion stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know how much of this makes sense, and your comments about how hard it would be to drop the pan indicate you don't have much of a commitment to actually fix the problem. So I don't know why I typed all this up. Guess I was just bored (as usual).

Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1141686557.746095.87010 @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I took it from his original post that the motor runs, but shows no oil pressure.

I've had several of the sheared pins, and the motor always dies instantly, since the timing is suddenly off by a ton.

BTW, the valve seal in the oil pump is still a mandate to drop the pan. The only way it got in there was that the oil filter screen became weakened and saggy from age, or is completely plugged, and the bypass hole opened up. The screen must be replaced, since any bit of foreign material from this point on is gonna seize up the pump again.

Reply to
elaich

OK first IM NOT AN IDIOT OR "UNCOMMITED" I AM JUST LOOKING FOR OUTSIDE INPUT ...The engine runs starts easily but i have confirmed ther is NO oil pressure(my first check was removing the sending unit). the vehicle is in a palce where i cannot undertake the job of removing the pan so that is not an option right now. What i do need is to find out if ther is another way to move this vehicke without doing further damage other than towing a 14,000 pound vehicle 60 miles back to my house.

Reply to
MIKE

OK, so you're committed, as in 12 days have gone by and you've done nothing to deal with your problem.

Yeah, it's called eBay. Fix it or eBay it or tow it, that's about it.

And don't bother thanking a stranger who took the time to try to help you with your problem, evidently spending more time on it than you have. I guess my comment -- "you don't have much of a commitment to actually fix the problem" -- could bruise a tender heart, and for that I apologise, but the fact is the RV's still sittin' where it was 12 days ago.

Why am I doing this? Two posts to the Usenet in one sitting. What a waste of time.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

dont know why im even responding its sitting because it dosnt need to move yet.is being used in its present location..thanks for your response..feel better now? im not "bruised" and i have done something about it in 12 days i did research on the lube system..i feel like you WHY am i bothering to respond im outta here...again thanks to ALL who responded

Reply to
MIKE