G M STEERING CLUNK

I HAVE A 05 2500 HD DURAMAX. HAVING PROBLEM WITH STEERING MAKING A CLUNKING NOISE WHEN TURNING STEERING WHEEL. ANYBODY HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH THE

05'S PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM
Reply to
Herm

Welcome, and by the way - All Caps = YELLING!

I have an '04 2500HD with the Duramax and have the exact same problem. In fact, many here with similar trucks have complained about it as well. For a while, GM has been blaming it on a bad intermediate steering shaft (connects the upper steering column to the steering gear box), but I had mine replaced under waranty and it didn't do anything to remedy the issue. I believe they are no longer being replaced under waranty but are being re-packed with new grease which is fixing the problem in the interim. As soon as I find the time I will be sending the truck back to the dealer (again) to see what else they can do for it. Personally, I don't think it's in the steering shaft, but somewhere in the steering gear and linkages running to the front wheels.

First things first - take a trip back to the dealer.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I have the same problem with my 2004 GMC Sierra. I?m gonna get rid of it before the warranty goes out. We?re just stuck with this problem unless they replace the gear box with a grease fitting. I heard they have to completely remove the gear box and regrease it and it takes about 2 hours not to mention how long your truck will be at the dealership until they get around to it

Reply to
jesseblane

It is the imm steering shaft. We have replaced over 1000 in our store. At first we were repacking the shafts but that only lasted for about

10,000 miles then it would be back with the clunk.

It is not the steering gear. It only takes 30 minutes to replace the shaft. Out of all the shafts that we have replaced with the new design we have not had any problems. Some have been there on 25,000 miles.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Woodcock

"Alan Woodcock" wrote: > jesseblane wrote: > > "Jonathan Race1" wrote: >  > > Welcome, and by the way - All Caps = YELLING! >  > > >  > > I have an '04 2500HD with the Duramax and have the > exact same >  > > problem. In >  > > fact, many here with similar trucks have complained > about it >  > > as well. For a >  > > while, GM has been blaming it on a bad intermediate > steering >  > > shaft (connects >  > > the upper steering column to the steering gear > box), but I had >  > > mine replaced >  > > under waranty and it didn't do anything to remedy > the issue. >  > > I believe they >  > > are no longer being replaced under waranty but are > being >  > > re-packed with new >  > > grease which is fixing the problem in the interim. > As soon as >  > > I find the >  > > time I will be sending the truck back to the dealer > (again) to >  > > see what else >  > > they can do for it. Personally, I don't think it's > in the >  > > steering shaft, >  > > but somewhere in the steering gear and linkages > running to the >  > > front wheels. >  > > >  > > First things first - take a trip back to the > dealer. >  > > >  > > Cheers - Jonathan >  > > -- >  > > Jonathan A. Race >  > > Lieutenant, EMS Supervisor >  > > Orange County (FL) Fire Rescue Department >  > > >  > > (This message may contain personal opinions and/or > information >  > > not related >  > > to my employment or employer) >  > > "Herm" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in > message >  > > news: snipped-for-privacy@telcove.net... >   > > >I HAVE A 05 2500 HD DURAMAX. HAVING PROBLEM > WITH STEERING >  > > MAKING A CLUNKING >   > > >NOISE WHEN TURNING STEERING WHEEL. ANYBODY > HAVING THIS SAME >  > > PROBLEM WITH >   > > >THE 05'S PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS > PROBLEM >   > > >

Alan do you know where I can have this replacement done in the Houston area? if I can "permanently" fix the problem I will keep the truck. Thanks for the reply. Jess

Reply to
jesseblane

I had my intermediate steering shaft replaced with the new design and have not experienced the "clunking" noise since. I have about 5K miles after replacement and so far so good. Any GMC dealer should have the new part available. I had to wait about two months for my replacement to come in (availability issues).

Regards,

LoloMan

Reply to
Isidoro Pulido

BTW, I had the replacement done on my '03 Yukon.

LoloMan

Reply to
Isidoro Pulido