Re: 3 Problems with IS300 - normal?

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:54:43 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >>

>>> Background - 2002 IS 300, about 20k miles, Silver. >>> >>> I noticed 3 things, and am not sure what to do about it, some of these >>> might seem "simple" but this is the first "real" car I've owned. >>> Previously I had an old beat up used Corrolla, so I didnt need to take >>> care of it much. >>> >>> 1. When I switch gears (into Drive or Reverse) I notice sometimes there >>> is a "clang" like 2 pieces of metal banging into each other. It sounds >>> like it is coming from under the car. >>> It is not a small noise either. Could something to falling apart? >> >> If it sounds like a "clunk" from the front of the car, esp the right >> front, it's probably the anti-lock brake sensor. that's normal. > > The ABS system on my '02 IS300 produces the exact same sound. It's > definitely considered to be normal on these cars--although it does raise > some concern for most owners when they first notice it. I don't > particularly > care for the noise myself, but the car is so unbelievably reliable that I > just ignore it. If that's the worst thing that I have to deal with then I > will remain a satisfied Lexus owner. 28,000 miles on mine now and I am > still > extremely pleased with the car. > > Since your car is still under warranty you can always take it into a Lexus > dealership and have them check it out to give you a peace of mind. But I > believe that Mark's assessment is correct based upon your description of > the > noise you're hearing that has proven to be reproducible. > > Ron M.

Got some additional information today from a Toyota dealership mechanic regarding this 'brake-related noise' when shifting from D to R and vice versa. Basically, he stated that there is a small amount of space at each end of the brake pads between the pads and a slot that they are positioned within. There's a spring-loaded clip at each end, and when the wheels are rolling forward the pads have to "shift forward". Same for the opposite direction. If the vehicle was last rolling forward, and then you start it up and drive forward again, you won't get the sound unless you're parked on an incline of some degree. But if you put the car in reverse you'll get the "clunk" again. Then you'll get it again when change directions and move the car forward next time. The noise can occur almost immediately after you've shifted gears or the next time you apply the brakes. It can vary depending on the position of the brake pads. And it's not always all four pads that shift simultaneously.

This guy said that recently a new Avalon owner came in complaining loudly about this exact same issue and refused to take delivery of his vehicle until "the noise was reduced". The mechanic said that there is something that you can actually do to reduce the noise, "but it's basically a band-aid using some silicon rubber at each of the brake pads to buffer the noise some". He actually did this to the man's Avalon and he's never griped about it since. :-)

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.